Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Rundown.

My whiny, desperate-housewives-esque post has been at the top of my blog for far longer than I intended.


I've moved on from most of the stuff I complained about. Right after that post Reagan did a "180" in her attitude about church. My brother agreed to come over and fix the tub faucet in our bathroom. I found wood pellets, for our pellet stove at nearby Cal-Ranch. I "got things together", and managed to get out a few neighbor Christmas gifts. I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, and decided that I'd try to keep my house clean, all on my own, for the first time in 2.5years. So far, so good. Christmas miracles, I'd say?!

Cohen's still a difficult little guy. But when I took him to the dentist on 12/26; Dr. Curtis pointed out that Cohen was simultaneously cutting 8 teeth at the moment. And I think that'd make anyone crabby. I've been giving him Tylenol to help ease the pain.

Christmas-Time was marvelous for our family.  And that is what this post is going to be all about.

The week prior started off with the Christmas Party at Reagan's preschool.  I was in charge, and I think it went really well.  The entire reason I signed up to do this particular party was because it was on a day when Nick wasn't supposed to go to work until 2PM.  I was thinking I could do the party and wouldn't have to worry about child-care for Cohen and Elsa.  Well, the week before the party, Nick switched shifts, and I was scrambling to find someone to watch my kids.  My Mom came to the rescue!  It was so nice to have my parents in town.

The Saturday before the Preschool party (pictures got out of chronological order), Reagan had her Christmas Dance recital.  Brian and Jenny came to the performance.  Jenny and I sat next to each other and were nearly crying from laughing so hard!  Initially, I was afraid that Reagan wouldn't even participate.  But she squashed my doubts, and then some.  She ran out on stage with the biggest smile on her face, and performed all three of her dance numbers with verve!  We captured her performances with our camcorder, so if you'd like to see them, I can send them to you via email.
Reagan's precociousness ended when she walked off stage.  She didn't want her picture taken. 

Here are a few various pictures of Cohen during the week of Christmas.  Cohen loves to have his picture taken.



One afternoon/evening our family joined my parents, and both of my siblings, and their families; and we went to downtown SLC.  Our first stop was at the Grand America Hotel.  We looked at all of their Christmas-themed windows.  And stopped at the french bakery for shortbread cookies.
Then, Nick, Reagan, and Cohen took the train to Temple Square.  Elsa and I opted to drive the car.  Our plan had been to park at the City Creek Center, and walk over to meet Nick.  But it ended up taking me ages to navigate the city streets, and then find an elusive parking spot at the mall.  My two youngest children were tired, and wanted to go home.  So, Elsa and I missed out on the Christmas lights at Temple Square.
Nick took this picture of Reagan:
And I took this picture of Nick and the kids walking to the train stop.  I loved that he wrapped Cohen up in his coat.

Another night, we went out to Grantsville, and visited with my Grandma.  Surprisingly, we got her to agree to having her picture taken with the great-grandkids.  Grandma doesn't like having her picture taken.  The following are some of the attempts I made at capturing the moment.
Cohen's face, in this one is funny.
 In this one, I got Elsa mid-jump, on the couch.
 This one would have been perfect, if Braedon's head hadn't been in the way of Grandma's smile!

At another point in the week we opted to have a last-minute visit from Santa, so my kids could see him.  I did ALL of my Christmas shopping online this year.  Heaven knows I don't need to expose my kids to more germs, than they are already subjected to.  Elsa brings home enough germs from church nursery-class as it is!  Taking them out in public isn't a #1 priority. 
So, this year, Nick's brother, Nate, agreed to "play" Santa.  We invited a few neighbors over too.  It was great.  And all of the reactions from my kids were predictable.
Cohen Cried.  Classic!
Elsa was apprehensive.  But had no problem taking candy from Santa.
And Reagan was thrilled to see him!  Although, it was at this point that she pulled a fast-one on Mom and Dad.  For months she's been asking for the 2009 Holiday Barbie (because that one has a pink dress).  I spent a lot of time searching on eBay for said gift.  I finally found one for a reasonable price, a month before Christmas, and I bought it.  Then, when Reagan spoke to Santa she told him that she wanted the big pink pony (it's actually a stuffed Unicorn), that she saw at the grocery store.
Fortunately, for Reagan... My parents had not completed their shopping for my kids.  They "saved the day", and purchased the pink pony for Reagan.  And one for Elsa too.

On Christmas Eve we had Nick's parents, and two brothers over.  We dined on take-out Indian Food.  Well, all of us except Nick's brother, Brian.  He brought up a steak, and grilled it; so that he wouldn't have to eat Indian Food.
The kids opened their presents from Nick's family, and the usual Christmas Eve present from Mom & Dad, Pajamas.
Reagan and Elsa also got slippers.
Elsa still has her love of Hats.  As gifts, she received several hats from different people.  She's been wearing them non-stop.
 Cohen, again, hammed-it-up for the camera.
These are the only pictures I have of Cohen in his Christmas PJ's.  Shortly after they were taken he had a diaper blow-out, and in to the hamper they went.

Christmas morning!  My kids slept in until 8:30AM.   Elsa was so pleased with herself, at being able to get through the shrink-wrap and box, to her solid-chocolate Santa.  She didn't eat all of it at that exact moment.  No.  She waited until the following day, and then stealthily snuck it off of the counter while I wasn't looking and put it away in one sitting.

 Here's Reagan with her Holiday Barbie.  She loved it!  She also got some Barbie horses.

Santa brought Elsa an Aqua Doodle.

We had a relaxing morning.  The kids played with their toys, we had doughnuts and juice for breakfast.  It was perfect. 

At 1PM we headed to my parents house for food and more presents.  Notice Reagan laying on her new pink pony?  Her face exuded pure joy when she opened the box with the pony, and realized what it was!
Oh, and also notice that in this picture, and the ones prior, Elsa is donning jackets.  She got a Dora jacket from Nick and I, and as soon as she opened it on Christmas morning she insisted on putting it on.  She also got a Dora t-shirt, so she put the t-shirt on over her jammies, and the jacket on over that.
At my parents house she got a new winter coat (for next year) and wanted to wear that too.
I love my unique children.  And husband.  It was a great day.  Nick made his terribly fattening, but-so-delicious-it's-justifiable mashed potatoes.  And I made rolls.  We had ham, and all the trimmings.  We stayed at my parent's house and watched Brave.  Everyone went home happy.

No comments: