Friday, July 26, 2013

Swimming Lessons, Week Two.

Oh boy.  Week two of swimming lessons...
Reagan, as expected, made even more strides.  She learned to dive.  She can do the freestyle stroke from one end of the pool, to the other (the short end, but still....).  She is fearless, and swimming is something she truly excels at!  I love watching her.
 Elsa, is another story...  The first day, of week 2 was... painful.  Elsa screamed the entire lesson.  She didn't want to back float.  She didn't want to do chipmunk cheeks.  She freaked out when Brooks tried to get her to jump off of the side of the pool.  Who knew it was possible for her to throw a temper tantrum in the water?!
 Nick and I could hardly keep Cohen out of the pool.  If Nick would have let him, Cohen would have jumped off of the diving board:
 It gave me an idea...  I'd already paid for Elsa's lessons, for that week.  Why not switch Elsa and Cohen?  Brooks was OK with my proposal.  So, on day 2, we let Elsa sit on the sidelines; and we put Cohen in the pool.
In my mind, I expected everything to go, well... swimmingly.  I thought Cohen would love lessons.  But he didn't.  He's still a little too young to understand what is going on.  He didn't scream.  But you can tell, by the look on his face, that he wasn't in love with swimming lessons:
Day 3, I put Elsa back in the pool.  Despite how much she hated it, I couldn't justify letting the money go to waste.
Things started off much the same way.  Elsa screamed. 
Then, her teacher asked Elsa to sing the ABC song.  It calmed Elsa down.  She spent the remainder of the lesson floating on her back, and serenading us with different songs.
The biggest surprise came on day 4.  Elsa was standing on the steps of the pool, and Brooks knocked a toy ring in to the pool.  It went to the bottom of the pool.  Elsa said she wanted to go get it.
So, Brooks let her try.  Elsa held her breath, and went down in to the water.  She came up holding the ring, AND smiling!  Turns out, she loves diving for objects.  Who knew?!
Day 4 and day 5 were wonderful!  Reagan was happy swimming, and Elsa was happy diving.
I still don't know if the girls will be able to take lessons in August, but my fingers are crossed, that they will.

No comments: