Sunday, December 28, 2014

December 2014

So, December.
It was so difficult for me to get in to the Christmas spirit this year.
The weather was anything, but, typical December weather.
I am DEFINITELY NOT complaining about the glorious temperatures that were in the 60's, some days.  It just made it hard to anticipate Christmas, with no snow on the ground.

At the beginning of the month, I watched a historical documentary about Handel writing the Messiah.  It was fascinating.  After that, I kept my Highlights from the Messiah CD on continuous repeat.

We also went to see the Christmas lights at Layton park with my family.  Which was fun, and festive.  I went out for Hot Chocolate with some of the gals from my neighborhood.  In the end Christmas turned out splendidly.  But I really feel like there is more I could have done to bring the Christmas spirit in to our house.
I guess it means I'll just have to do better next year.

I'm still helping out in the nursery, at church.  I adore that I get to spend time on Sundays, with this guy:
I am feeling really sad about the fact that he's going in to the "Big" primary, with the girls at the beginning of the year.  Sniff, sniff.

OK. Other December events that I documented with my camera...
On a Saturday that Nick had to work, our church congregation was having their Christmas breakfast.  I wasn't going to go.  But Nick encouraged me to.
I made it, on time, with all three kids in-tow.  The breakfast was crowded, and noisy.  So NOT Reagan's "scene".  We lasted for about 10 minutes.  Then, Reagan had a break-down.  She was on the floor crying, and I tried to pick her up.  She ended up taking my knee out, with a swift kick.  I was bruised for weeks afterward, because of it.
Anyway, I knew Reagan's behavior wasn't intentional.  It was a beautiful day, so I decided not to waste the warm weather, and I took the kids to the park.  We played for hours.  And we didn't need coats, or hats, or gloves.  What a lovely day!


My co-conspirator/piano teacher, and friend, Kristine; and I hosted a mini-piano recital for our students.  It was very fun, and casual.  And I never tire of hearing Christmas music (which is what the kids all performed).
Only three of the kids in the picture are mine.  It's all I have the time for, at this point.


Nick had to work on Christmas-Eve Day, from 9AM to 5PM.
My parents had the kids over, that morning, and they decorated cookies.
Mostly, the girls just wanted to eat the frosting.  And Cohen had no interest in cookies.  He just wanted to play:
It was still a lot of fun, though.

After the cookies, we met up with my friend, Emily (who was in town from WY) and we took the kids to the Treehouse museum.


Reagan was thrilled to see Connor.  And Vice Versa.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  I wish Emily lived closer.  These two quirky kids get along so well.
We left the museum, and I saw that I had a text message from Stephanie.  She was finally in town.  So, we made a stop to visit her.  And Elsa was elated to see her best-bud, Stephanie's son, Brody.  What a great day!  I got to visit with two of my most-favorite girlfriends!


That evening, Nick picked up Indian Food on his way home from work.  Nick's parents; and his two brothers came to our house and we ate.
Then, Santa paid us a visit!  The kids were excited to see him!


It was probably the last year we'll be able to have Uncle Nate dress up like Santa...  Sad.  But Reagan pretty-nearly figured out that our Santa was Nathan.  Next year I'll have to take the kids to see the real Santa.  I've heard that the one in the Ogden Christmas Village has a perfect twinkle in his eye.

On Christmas day Reagan woke up around 6:30AM, and Elsa quickly followed suit.  We had to wake Cohen up at 7AM, and he was grumpy the rest of the day.

Reagan's big gift was a 28" Toothless the dragon.
Cohen got the Fisher Price Octonauts set.
And Elsa...  Well, since August Elsa has been insisting that she wanted a toy parrot.  At the beginning of November I scouted them out; and found that Walmart had them online for $16.
I decided to wait to purchase, until Black Friday; so that I could consolidate my order.  Of course, those darn Little Live Pet birds were completely sold out, when I went to buy them the day after Thanksgiving!  The only other place I could find them was on Amazon, and they were $45!  Oh, also, this silly parrot ended up being listed as a "top toy" of the season in Parents, Family Fun, and Good HouseKeeping Magazine.  No wonder it was in demand.

I waited.  And kicked myself for not buying it before black Friday.  The Amazon price never fell.  I was starting to get really desperate.  After a little research, I found that; even though Walmart online didn't have the birds in stock, I could check inventory at Walmart stores, and pick it up.  Online, it said that the Layton Walmart had the bird in stock.  I ordered it.  Only to get an email a few hours later, saying that their inventory was off, and they didn't actually have the bird in stock!  The same scenario played out when I attempted to order it from the Centerville, and West Valley Walmart.

Finally, my last attempt paid off, and I was able to get the bird from the Riverdale store.  Phew!

I purchased an XBOX One for Nick.  I had saved some of my piano lesson income, and I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay to be able to finance that purchase.  I liked being able to think that I'd used my "own" money to get it.

Christmas day was delightful.  It snowed.  A lot.
We went to my parent's house.  And had a lovely meal.  The kids played with their cousins.  It was nice.  This is the only picture I took on Christmas!  At least it's cute.


All's well, that ends well.
But it was another stressful holiday season for me.  Really, I wouldn't mind doing a destination Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  Just so that I can avoid drama.
Thanksgiving used to be one of my favorite holiday's.  But the last time I really enjoyed it was 8 years ago. When my Grandma Chellson was still alive, I always eagerly anticipated Thanksgiving Day.  Grandma was the most-amazing cook I've ever met!  Her turkey dressing is to die for!  She always made the best Thanksgiving meal.  Her mincemeat pie is the only one I've ever been able to stomach, and enjoy.  Plus, it was a tradition for me to sleep over at her house, and we'd spend black Friday sewing some project, or another.  Wonderful memories.

Seven Thanksgiving's ago...  I was newly-pregnant with Reagan, and I was so sick.  I developed a major aversion to turkey.  And I couldn't eat turkey for two years after that!
Also, there have been poor-family relations going on, that bring on such anxiety around Thanksgiving.  This year, my Warr cousins were all going to California for Thanksgiving.  I was very jealous of that :)
Three Thanksgivings ago, I had an extended family member ask me when my baby was due?  Cohen was three weeks old, at that point...  Needless to say, I wasn't keen on spending this Thanksgiving with that particular family.  For that, and a few other reasons...  But my Mom has had a difficult time grasping the concept of "immediate family-only".  I love my Mom, but she has contributed to my stress; the past TWO Thanksgivings.  To the point, that I just want to go elsewhere for that holiday.  This year, I gave her an ultimatum.  Extended family, OR us.
Luckily, she chose us.  But it still made for unnecessary pressure on me, leading up to the day.

Then, Christmas.
My Dad was the sibling in-charge of the Imlay Christmas party this year.  Which meant, I was the equivalent of his Co-Chair.
We tried to plan a fun party.  And I think it turned out well.
But the attendance at the party is just sad.  Barely a quarter of the Imlay family members showed up. I miss the cousins that are my age.  A lot.  Melinda, Mike, and Lisa didn't come.  And Julie, and David live out of state, so they couldn't make it either.
This year, my Uncle's step-son, and his family came, for the first time.  And they made a huge difference.  The life of the party, for sure!

The night before the party, my brother and I got in to an argument.  I think it is the first time that has ever happened.  Heather and I fight on a regular basis.  We've been doing it for so long, that we have it down to an art.  It's no big thing.
But fighting with my brother...  That threw me for a loop.
I was dreading going to the party.  I didn't want to see him.
But I did want to see my Grandma.  So, I sucked it up.
On top of that, I was exasperated/annoyed with another one of my cousins.  She has always made me feel second-class.  And like I was an annoyance.  But we're family.  So, I kept trying to be friendly.
I had a text conversation with her, in regard to the party, and she was a total beast to me.
It was my breaking point.  Put a fork in me.  I'm done.  There will be no more effort on my part.
We didn't speak, or even look at each other during the Christmas party.  And avoiding each other was just that much more awkward, because of the sparse attendance.
Re-living it is just getting my ire up all over again.
When did the Holiday's turn in to such a miserable time of year for me?!
Seriously, I'd rather skip it.

I did reconcile with my brother, at the party, actually.  So, I don't think I'm a total witch.
But I have zero desire to make any attempts at reconciliation with my cousin.  I couldn't care less if I don't interact with her any more. 

Truly, I just want to live somewhere else during the time around Thanksgiving and Christmas.  But Nick loves Thanksgiving, and cooking.  So I don't think that will happen.  And next year, there's a pretty good chance that Nick will be working on Christmas day.
I guess that means I have 11 months to cheer up, and steel myself against living (happily) through another holiday period. 

And just so that I don't end the year on a negative note...
I will say that 2014 has been pretty good to us.  Nick has a good job.  We've all experienced good health.  We have good neighbors.  And our family-unit is my most favorite thing about my life.  I can find joy in any situation with my husband by my side.

Happy 2014

No comments: