First of all….. GO COUGARS! BYU beat the University of crappy Utah in basketball over the weekend AND they did it with two of their key players being ill.
The BYU win was just one of the items that left me feeling all “fired up” this weekend. I am really irritated with the state of the economy and the fact that the current government administration seems to be “shooting in the dark”, and coming up with random plans to try to fix things. I have news for all of you (as someone with a Bachelor’s degree in Economics) - THE RECESSION IS NOT GOING TO END ANY TIME SOON! I don’t think it is a coincidence that the LDS church magazine publication was on Self Reliance this month.
I think all of the “bail-outs” the government is initiating are BALONEY. People should have been smart with their money from the beginning. Who honestly believed they could make a mortgage payment for a $300,000 home, when they were pulling down $9/hr. at McDonalds?! I am so irked that responsible citizens will be “picking up the bill” for other people who did not do their homework and were just plain greedy.
The steps the government is taking to nationalize American corporations and banks (and yes, nationalization is happening. The U.S. government owns 70% of Citigroup. Enough said.) scares me. The steps that are being taken to bring in a Socialist system (re-distribution of wealth is the basic principle behind Socialism. I took Marxian Economics in College and Aced the course. I can spot Socialism from a mile away) scare me.
I do not feel that Government (Federal, or Local- Cough* Orrin Hatch and Christine Gregoire*Cough) are “for the people” anymore. I know I am only one person and there isn’t a lot I can do to change the current course of the nation. But I am going to put efforts in to passing legislation that will create Term Limits for all elected positions!
The biggest contributor that led to my stupor of thought over the weekend, and to this rant was my good friend Janetta. She posted a well thought out statement on her blog. I echo her sentiments… I am tired of feeling attacked for my core beliefs. "Celebrities", armed with their HIGH SCHOOL educations are using their influence to try and shame people in to believing what they believe? Why should we lend any credence to what these people have to say? Case in point: Prop. 8, from California. The people have spoken. It was democracy in action- at its best: might I add, and the people voted to uphold the definition of marriage being between a man and a woman. These celebrities with “sour grapes” are making me ill. They are telling us we ought to be ashamed if we don’t support same-sex marriage. While I have friends and acquaintances that are gay, and I do not personally oppose their choices- I will not be ashamed! I believe in my Church’s The Family: A Proclamation to the World http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,161-1-11-1,00.html that the union between a man and woman is sacred. People like Tom Hanks and Sean Penn are the ones who ought to be ashamed of themselves. I am using what means I have to speak out about my views. And I will use what influence I have to make sure that my family and my daughter are taught to have good morals and values and to be self reliant.
Take that! All you Hollywood-types who are not in touch with reality! I’m not resting on my laurels.
6 comments:
I agree strongly with your post, and thank you for having the courage to say so! I too will not be ashamed to exercise my 'right' to stand up for my beliefs. Tom Hanks should be ashamed for telling those opposed to gay marriage that they are 'un-American." Actually, telling me that I don't have the right to believe what I choose is un-American.
I am also angered by the bail-out. Why are we rewarding selfishness and greed? These people need to be prosecuted and thrown in jail, not given a free ride to pass GO and collect $200.
We Americans have forgotten that our government was set up as a Republic, not a democracy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqM7v4XrV7o
Way to go Brooke! I'm ashamed to say that I cannot even begin to have anything to say anything, on my own, because of my failure to really educate myself about these things (Prop 8 excepted), but your post has made me realize that I need to do so, or I'm just as bad as all those other irresponsible citizens. That only thing that comes to my mind as I watch these things unfold is "signs of the times". Thanks for sharing your eloquent and well-informed opinion.
Brooke...thanks for this post. And thanks for your support on my blog over the weekend too. I've had a great response and I'm glad there are those of us out there who are willing to stand up for what we believe.
I booked some flights, so I'll be seeing you soon! Check your email :o)
Yikes! . . . and all this stress because of a poorly played little basketball game? ;) Settle down! (You're just bent out of shape because you forgot to bet on this one games.)
p.s. please note sarcasm.
I'm glad our government is trying to do something (not that it is working), but I am disappointed and disillusioned with all the corruption that is coming to light. is there not an honest person left in congress and or business?? Is there not someone out there that isn't after their own gain. I don't even think we could list all the corruption that has been brought up lately. the president of GE selling parts to Iran while misleading investors at home, the republican nomination for commerce Judd Gregg?? just came under investigation for being part of a scam to direct federally funded money to friends, the democrats support for fanny mae and freddy macs bad loans ... it's across the board. Who's really to blame though, didn't we elect them?? I'm ready to move to Canada
Amen! Amen! It is so refreshing to have many of my same thoughts and feelings vindicated! Good grief! I am sick and tired of paying for those who made blatantly stupid choices. Sometimes you have to fall on your face after making certain choices before the reality of what we should have done really sinks in. I believe that these banks and many of those who bought $300,000 dollar houses on a $20,000 salary just need to fall on their faces for a while and then maybe they will fix their mistakes. If we bail them out they will do the same thing again.......Brilliant Obama.
Post a Comment