Wednesday, November 11, 2009

THIS IS IT!





For all you MJ "haters" out there. Just stop reading now.

Last night, Jill and I got away from our respective children and indulged ourselves in a "girls night out". We met up at the Gateway for dinner and a movie. The entire purpose of the night was to see the Michael Jackson Movie: This Is It. We are both fans (our husbands, sadly, are not). I have loved Michael Jackson FOREVER. When I was 7 years old I owned a fabulous "Thriller" t-shirt, and am still sad about the fact that it ended up going to the D.I. My MJ History CD's have been a staple in my car CD player for probably the past 10 years. I could continue, but I think it is obvious that I am a TRUE fan.

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this post defending Michael Jackson. Anyone who is close-minded about the guy and uses him as the butt of lame jokes shouldn't still be reading anyway. It is obvious that the man was unbelievably gifted. I appreciate true artists (another controversial ICON on my list of "music people I crush on" is Elton John.... Swoon).

Anyway, Back to the movie... The movie delivered everything MJ and more! It was worth every penny of the $8 ticket. Jill and I sat in the theater in complete awe. We kept commenting back and forth to each other about the fact that MJ still, so obviously HAD IT! Of the three movies I have been able to see in the theater, in the past two years; this one took the cake! Words cannot even describe the magnitude of greatness that this movie exuded. It was classic Michael. Singing, dancing; all of it genuine. You couldn't tell the guy was 50. It was like watching Michael of old. The one thing that Jill pointed out, that I had to agree with her on, was that it was disappointing that there wasn't a good, long sequence of MJ doing the Moonwalk.

Other than that.... it gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me! If you "Heart"/love MJ this movie is a MUST SEE!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Hilarious. I, too, am an MJ fan with a non-MJ-fan husband. I have heard only good things about this movie.

Bellamy Family said...

Would you having a crush on an old overweight ugly gay man be the same as me like crushing on Rosie O-donnel? (Old, overweight, ugly, gay, woman) :-) ha ha just kidding.

Anyways I'm glad you had fun. I wouldnt mind seeing it either. I wouldnt call myself a big fan, but I did enjoy most of his stuff. :-)

Emily said...

I wanted to go but didn't have anyone I thought I could ask without it feeling a little embarassing...I would have loved to tag along with you guys!

Anonymous said...

hmm, I will have to talk my hubby into taking me!

Heather said...

Did you give it "to" thumbs up or "two" thumbs up? Just had to add this as you have always been able to correct my grammar. I have to get in what few opportunities in this life that I will get. I love you! :D

Brooke Imlay Scheurer said...

To Heather: GASP! You're right. I can't believe I made a mistake like that?! It was quickly remedied, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
To Spencer: There is NO comparison between Elton John and Rosie. Dry Heave. Elton has more actual talent in his pinky finger than Rosie does in her entire obese body.
There are some people that make music you can't help but get up and dance to when you hear it (or at least tap your foot to the beat). MJ, Elton, Madonna... All gifted.

Kari said...

I want to see this movie! Even more now that you talked about it! I think I could even talk Gareth into it, since he loves all music!

Regardless of his personal life, MJ was an incredible artist and his music will endure the test of time.

April said...

I've heard nothing but good things about the movie, but I'm still too cheap to go to more than one movie a year.
Reagan looked adorable all dressed up for Halloween! It's amazing how quickly they pick up on the whole trick-or-treating thing.