Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Review Month Two

Progress!

Both Nick and Reagan's pediatrician said that I ought to give the "potty training push" a rest. Her pediatrician said that we were "locked in a power struggle" over it. Here's my surprised face (for those of you who can't see me, my face is NOT contorted in to a shocked look). Reagan and I have been doing the power struggle thing since the day she was born.
So, I resolved to not mention potty training for a month.
That was on a Monday.
On Wednesday, of that week, I took Miss R. out of the tub in the morning and was letting her run around in her hooded towel. I started doing other things, rather than getting her dressed. And before I knew it, probably an hour later, Reagan came TO ME, and told me that she needed to use the potty.
The weirdest part..... she actually did!
I figured I might be on to something, and so I didn't put her back in a diaper. I knew I was taking a HUGE risk (ie- the possibility that she might pee on my floor), but; for the sake of experimentation I threw caution to the wind.

I am happy to report that Reagan has only had a single "accident" (and that was because she was playing, and told me she needed to go, a little too late. The accident happened on the way to the bathroom :( In the past six days.
Maybe it isn't a fluke? A few days later, I was in the nursery, putting Elsa in her PJ's and I heard Reagan in the bathroom, lifting up the lid on the toilet. I walked in to the bathroom just as Reagan was putting her little potty ring on the toilet. She was taking herself to the bathroom!
I have still been putting her in a diaper during naptime, and at night. The funny thing is, that she has promptly "pooped her pants", the second I put a diaper on her at naptime. Any suggestions from other Mom's out there, as to how I can remedy this?
I'm not brave enough yet, to take her in to public sans diaper. If things keep up this way, though, I may venture out on a short outing next week. Please pray for me!

On the weight loss front... I did better in February. I actually dragged myself out of bed at the unholy hour of 5AM, and went to the aerobics class. But that only happened one time. After my first successful trip, Elsa started waking up at 4:30AM! I cannot function during the day with a 4:30AM wake-up call. I didn't go back to the aerobics class, instead; I went back to bed.
Elsa only performed these antics for a week and a half (thank heavens!).
But I am beginning to think that the child has some adamant desire not to have a skinny Mom?! I mean, my pregnancy with her lead to the deterioration of my thyroid- AND THEN, she starts pulling a weird sleep habit when I get the resolve to work out? Hmmmm?
Nick, wonderful husband that he is, has agreed to get up with Elsa (if she wakes up early) on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. So that I can run on our treadmill @ 6:30AM (a much more manageable time for me). I did three miles yesterday! I'm not going to disclose my time, because it was seriously scary, and I did not run the entire time. But it's a step (or a stride :) in the right direction.

My spending fast isn't going strong, but at least it is going. For the month of February I only managed to cut our expenses by $157. I bought Nick two pairs of wrinkle-free work slacks (because I hate ironing his existing ones), I bought myself a new pair of corduroy pants, and I went a little crazy one day and ordered a bunch of outfits and swimsuits for the girls to use when we take our trip to Disneyworld in November (because neither of them have "summery" stuff for that time of year).
On the flip side... I refrained from purchasing new hair devices, when my flatiron and hair dryer went out (instead, I used ones that I had on-hand). And, there was a big online sale on Veggie Tales DVD's. I caught myself just in time (I had six of the DVD's in my cart!) rather than completing the transaction, I closed the screen.
Wow. After typing it out, I am amazed at how little resolve I have.

I'm going to buckle-down in March. I don't want to continue sounding like a justification'er (I know that's not a real word, but you know what I mean, right?!)

4 comments:

Get Hooked said...

You can't expect perfection all at once. Potty training = Awesome! No pooping advice other than what you probably don't want to hear. Ditch the diapers. She will adventually have to poop and feeling it in your underwear probably isn't very pleasant. Working out - You are awesome for getting up early at all. I could not do it in the AM. I'd stay up until midnight before I'd wake up at 5 am. All I see lady is progress. And that is totally what counts. Can't expect perfection without seeing progress first. You'll get there, Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Goodjob with your accomplishments. It may not seem like you are doing a good job, but you are. Keep up the good work. In the end the potty training, working out and more will pay off in the end.

Jenn Randall said...

FUN blog!! I wanted to share a few thoughts because I happen to be in the same boat in life...but it's likely unsolicited advice, so you don't have to read or...or just take it with a grain of salt.

I have a friend who just did the same potty struggle. She put diapers back on after her daughter kept pooping in her underpants. After a few days, her daughter did the same thing, asked to use the potty...and no longer has poop accidents. If you give them the power, they LOVE it. I'd suggest you tell her to let you know if she needs to poop and you'll help her. If she doesn't and goes in underpants, then she has to stay in it for a bit (although that may be torture for you, and if she doesn't care, that won't work either)...but that's my 'seasoned' mom suggestion.
When we did our boys (which may be different), we NEVER went back to diapers, even at night (but ours didn't fight it). Our latest hasn't wet the bed more than a handful of times. But, that's me.

And good for you on the exercise!! I only recently started doing it regularly and I really think you have to do WHAT you like, at a time you like. I can't do 6:30 AM, for sure!! I HATE getting up early. Go YOU!!

And we have really had to crack down on our budget...and it has been amazing the money we have saved!! I HATE it, but we now do a cash budge. I seriously spend over $200 less each month and feel like we have SOO much more control. Anyway, if you'd like to open a discussion about that, I'd love to talk...but I don't know what you are doing.

Anyway, thanks for the invite to your blog! It'll be fun to keep up with you guys. We may be coming to Utah next month, if a get-together interests you at all.
Take care!

Emily said...

Yay for self-induced potty training! that's what Owen eventually did...I figure if you wait long enough they'll eventually get around to it on their own! (he was almost 3 and it was worth the wait-far fewer accidents and ongoing issues that way) and way to go on the spending freeze, you're still doing better than I am even though you say you want to do better this month. I just bought a treadmill and have been working out too! My scales broken so I have no way to track my progress, but then maybe that's a good thing! Actually I've already got some races mapped out for the summer, you should try it too--helps to have a goal like that to work towards, I think.