Friday, November 30, 2012

Addressing the (Turkey) Dressing.

2012 Thanksgiving was divine at our house.  The turkey that Nick cooks gets better every year.  I am a fortunate woman to have a gourmet chef for a husband!
I'm turning in to less of a mess in the kitchen.
This year, I prepared: cranberry preserves, homemade rolls, a key lime, and strawberry-rhubarb sour cream pie, and my Grandma Chellson's famous dressing.

I kept thinking that I ought to have Nick write this post.  He is my "better-half" in every sense of the word, and also acts as a filter to my somewhat-out-of-hand mouth.

But he's a busy guy.  And...  What the hey!  It's my blog.

So, here goes.

Thanksgiving day was great.  Our good friends, the Elison's, joined us for dinner.  We are lucky to know them.
But a holiday that I've always spent with family, was "family-less" this year.
My parents stayed on the East coast, and actually drove down to Washington DC that weekend.  My Dad thought the Smithsonian wouldn't be very busy over the holiday.  They will be joining us in, UT for two weeks in December.  I'm excited. 
My little brother had to work on Thanksgiving day, and Jenny spent the day with her fam.
My sister had dinner with her in-laws.
And actually, it was the turn for all three of us to dine with the in-laws.  So, no ill feelings toward my family about not seeing them on turkey day.

We were supposed to spend the day with Nick's family.  But that did not happen.  I have had my fill of the massive unkindness and disdain Jessee (Nick's sister) exhibits toward Nick and Me.  I don't think she has ever extended a single nicety toward either of us.  She was so rude to everyone at Cohen's birthday party.  I do not think it is appropriate for her to treat me like trash, and especially for her to do it to me in my own home.  I let her know that if she was coming to my house for Thanksgiving she needed to put on a happier face than the one she had displayed in the past.  This did not go over well.  Essentially, she told me that she wouldn't be coming for Thanksgiving, and that she thought I was an awful person.  I didn't fight with her beyond that because the grammar in her text to me was atrocious, and I didn't think it fair to continue to engage with someone that cannot compete at my level.

Is all of this unbelievably blasphemous of me?! 
Well, I'm not finished yet.
It's been a long-time coming.  And I would say that the demise of any (negative) relationship I have had with her is a relief.  I have friends that treat me more like family than Jessee ever did; and I'd rather spend my time surrounded by them.

The rest of Nick's family opted to change their plans, and moved the Thanksgiving venue to Nick's parent's home. Hence, the reason we maintained a low-key holiday, in our own home.  Nick's brother, Nate, came up for pie that evening.  And his brother, Brian, came up to see us earlier in the week.  So, they get a "pass" regarding this whole incident.

The drama has been stressful for me.  But the actual holiday itself was delightful!  I am grateful that I have a husband who supports me.  I am grateful that I have three handsome children.  I am grateful that I have a good relationship with my parents and my siblings.  I am grateful that we have good friends.  That's an awful lot to be grateful for.
And considering that these kids are mine, how could I not be?!

Reagan and Elsa were playing XBOX Kinect in the above picture.  Gotta love Elsa's "mean face".  Maybe she learned it from me?  My Mom constantly admonished me to "be the peacemaker"; but I never did.  This is my way of saying that I know I have many faults.  I think I have made great strides in regard to reducing my temper.  But it's not entirely gone.  Obviously.
Hopefully, I can do better to remember Christ, and his example, this next month.  Happy Thanksgiving, and on to Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brooke, I applaud you for sticking up for yourself with your sister-in-law. When that is not an easy thing to do.

I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving. The holidays are fun and nice no matter how many family members are around to spend it with.