Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Halloween 2012

I am well aware of the fact that I am in the minority among my contemporaries when it comes to my feelings about Halloween.  I think it is a pretty dumb holiday.
I don't do much in the way of decorations.  The only reason I had a Halloween-themed wreath on my front door is because my Mom gave it to me.

I may not love Halloween, but I'm not going to be a killjoy when it comes to celebrating Halloween.  Especially where my kids are concerned.

Here are pictures from the day that I took the kids to Stephanie's house, and we made the glowing mason jar pumpkin face things:
 

Nick and I took the kids to Pack's Pumpkin Patch one FREEZING cold evening.  The girls stayed warm by running around in the free hay maze.  And we purchased three pumpkins and a spaghetti squash.  Sidenote: I cooked the spaghetti squash.  Just to try it.  I made a spaghetti squash carbonara.  If there hadn't have been bacon in the recipe I probably wouldn't have eaten it.  I guess bacon does make everything better.


I did put the pumpkins on the front porch.  But we never got around to carving them.  My kids aren't old enough to know any better yet; so it wasn't a big deal.

One Saturday when Nick was working, I dressed the children in their finest (see picture below) and hauled them all down to the Halloween carnival our local elementary school was putting on.

When Nick arrived home from work we took the kids to a trunk-or-treat.


WIRED from the candy consumption.  And then....

Out cold.  I still maintain that Cohen and Reagan could be identical twins.  They look so much alike.

October 31st.  Reagan had her Halloween Pre-school program in the AM.  She participated for the first 10 minutes; and then lost interest.  It's progress.


Oh, there was also a Halloween party with her dance class.  I dressed Reagan up as a ballerina.




















Then, Finally!  It was time to go trick-or-treating.  Nick had to work the evening shift on Halloween, so both of his brothers were kind enough to come down and help me wrangle my kids.
Reagan dressed up as a Mermaid.  Cohen was a little bear.  And Elsa was Cinderella.















Of course, it was 65 degrees outside, and pleasant that night.  Cohen ended up roasting in his costume.  But I'd rather err on the side of playing it safe; than have the poor boy turn in to a Popsicle.
Reagan trick-or-treated up one street, and then declared that she was done.  And home she went.
Cohen lasted a few more houses than Reagan did. 
Elsa, however, would have stayed out all night if I would have let her.  She loved going door to door and saying ,"Trick-or-Treat", and, "Thank You".  Much to Nick's chagrin (when I told him afterward) she would also sing and dance Justin Bieber's "Baby" song for people.
At the end of the night I took stock of the kids' candy haul.  They had less than I would have expected.  And when you are a Mom on a diet, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

No comments: