On March 5th Nick and I celebrated our 8th Wedding Anniversary. We "went big" and decided a trip to Seattle was in order. At Christmas, Nick gave Lance (our nephew) his extra XBOX 360. Don't ask why Nick even had an "extra" XBOX 360. It's one of those things that you learn to overlook when you're married. The same way Nick just shrugs his shoulders and shakes his head at my collection of handbags.
Anyway, Jeff asked if he could pay us for the XBOX? I told him that he could repay us in childcare! So, Heather and Jeff ended up watching my kids for 3 days while Nick and I went on our trip.
Nick and I went straight to Duke's Chowder House, on Lake Union, from the airport. Of course, eating good food was ONE of the priorities on this trip.
We booked a room at the Courtyard hotel in Kirkland. The pictures on the Internet were a lot nicer than the hotel was, in person. Of course, the hotel wasn't a dump, but in hindsight I wished I had paid a little extra and reserved a room at a Marriott property in downton Seattle.
That first evening, we went to dinner with my "bestie", Kris, and her husband, Phil. They treated us to dinner at La Rustica. The Italian cuisine was heaven on earth! I had the spaghetti with meatballs, but the meatballs were made of lamb, and were seasoned with mint! Divine, I tell you! If you are ever in Seattle, seek this place out (and get there early! There are only a dozen, if that, tables available).
The next morning Nick and I resurrected an old tradition. We got up early headed to Pike's Place Market. We meandered through the market and partook in all of our favorite foods. Of course, the mini donuts are my own favorite. We used to do Pike's for breakfast, at least once a month, when we lived in Seattle. It never gets old.
Around lunchtime I forced Nick in to going shopping. We went to the outlets in Marysville. I really wanted to visit the Kate Spade store. I have always loved her handbags! Her style is just up my alley! I adore the clean lines, and structure she uses in her designs. Nick kindly purchased a purse for me, but I have to wait until my birthday, before I get it.While we were shopping I started getting queasy. I tried to ignore it. Because, we were in the land of culinary delights! Nothing was going to keep me from my food!
We drove to Bellevue, and went to McCormick & Schmicks to get an early dinner. I had been looking forward to this meal, most of all. Nick and I are "Preferred Guests/members" at McCormick, and I had a $25 birthday credit on my McCormick account.
I ordered my meal, and had started on my salad when I realized I couldn't fight my sickness any longer. I excused myself from the table and high-tailed it to the bathroom. After I threw up, I felt better, but I couldn't eat. I sat at the table and watched Nick eat, not only, his entire entree, but mine as well.
Since I wasn't feeling up to participating in any nightlife.... We went back to the hotel. I talked Nick in to renting Argo (he hates Ben Affleck, so this took some doing, on my part). We watched the movie, and I can say that I liked it. I think Nick still hates Ben Affleck. Also, I had a few more incidents with vomiting.
Apparently, I came by my tummy-troubles honestly. My sister told me that my children were puking while I was gone.
Of course, I felt bad that my sister had been cursed with MY sick children. But I wasn't as mortified as I would have been if I had left my kids with just a friend. Is that a double-standard? While I'm at it, I might as well admit that my first thought was, "Hooray, this time around it doesn't mean extra laundry for me to do!". My second thought was, "My poor sister, and my poor kids!".
That sister of mine, she's a good egg. I'm lucky to have her.
The next morning, my stomach was feeling better. I really wanted to go to Sunflour Bakery, or Voula's for breakfast. But the whole "Reagan and Nick missing their flight in Tampa, and having to fly standby" incident was still fresh on Nick's mind. So, Nick wanted to be to the airport as early as possible, just to be (in my opinion, unnecessarily) early for our flight. On the way to the airport we stopped at Top Pot Donuts and picked up breakfast. I don't think Donuts, in any form, are anything to sneer at; so I was happy with breakfast.
The airplane, on the way home was very close to Mt. Rainier. It was pretty cool.
Our kids were happy to see us, and us them, when we got home. I think it will be a while before we venture out without our children again. Having adults-only time away is fun. But vacationing with our kids is even more fun!
1 comment:
Glad you got to get away, but we vote the same thing re: vacationing with kids. Much more fun than missing them.
Post a Comment