I enrolled Elsa in the same preschool that Reagan went to. Smart Start. Elsa and I both love it.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, when I pick Elsa up she is always eager to share all of the details about what she did, with me. She derives such joy from singing songs, listening to stories, doing her "work", and of course, free-play. And I derive such joy from knowing that Elsa is in Heaven at preschool.In our neighborhood there aren't too many children that are Elsa's age. Elsa is so eager to be social. I have been very grateful that my friend Stephanie moved back from Washington, because I really like spending time with her. And her little boy, Brody, is Elsa's best bud (the picture-above-was taken at Brody's birthday party). Stephanie will be moving back to Seattle in May, permanently. She's trying to convince me to move up there, and be her next door neighbor.
Elsa always has been such a delightful child. Elsa takes nothing seriously, which is both a good thing, and a bad thing; and is a trait she gets from her father.
When Elsa was a newborn, I distinctly remember one day when Reagan was being particularly trying. I finally got her to settle down, and I collapsed on to the couch. I started playing a game on my phone, to decompress, and I'd been at it for a while before I realized that Elsa had been sitting in the baby bouncer the entire time, and hadn't made a peep. I had forgotten she was there.
It wasn't the last time a scenario like this unfolded.
Elsa is my helper, my singer (lately she has been making up songs about being happy), my independent girl, and my child that shares.
She isn't perfect though. That girl can whine. There's nothing that can make me crazy faster than when she turns on her whiny voice. She is also a tease. Some days I don't know which child is worse, Elsa or Cohen. They both know how to push Reagan's buttons.
My Mom says that I shouldn't compare children. I think she means it more in context to discipline, and smarts. I certainly discipline each of my children differently, and each of my children are intelligent in different ways.
But as Elsa has gotten older, and especially now that she's started preschool, it has become more apparent to me that some of Reagan's behaviors need to be looked at more closely.
Elsa, as a 3 year old, is hitting milestones that Reagan didn't master until recently.
I didn't mean for this post to turn in to more worry about Reagan. But figuring out a way to help Reagan be successful has been on my mind 24-7. It's been giving me a lot of anxiety.
Elsa to the rescue again! Just like when she was a newborn, she has been silently waiting on the sidelines; allowing me to help her sister, and make it through this tough time, without adding her own demands to my already flustered life.
I tell you what, God knew exactly what he was doing when he sent that blonde haired, blue eyed, angel to our home.
I am so glad to have Elsa. And I am glad that she loves preschool.
1 comment:
Perhaps some of Elsa's advanced behavior can be attributed to her being the second child? Joseph still wants us to feed him the last bites of his dinner whereas Jamesie was trying to feed himself since he was a year old. Same with dressing themselves and talking. Obviously you know your children best, but I think a lot of second children learn things much more quickly because they see their older siblings doing them first.
Post a Comment