Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Reagan/School Update

Here's the rundown:
The principal at Reagan's school was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  Reagan still doesn't have an IEP in place, but I figure I can cut the administration a little slack, and show some compassion, all things considered.
Another reason I have been patient is because Reagan has had an Autism Specialist from the district assigned to be her aide.
Kristin Bright has been with Reagan full-time for 30 days, and what a difference it has made!  Things at school have been better, and things at home have been better.

Last year at this time, Reagan was doing really well.  So, I wonder if the end of winter/beginning of spring is just a good time for her?  Whatever the cause, I'll take it!

Last week was a roller-coaster ride, for sure, though.
To begin with, Reagan's teacher has still been in the line of fire.  Since the beginning of the year, I had been trying to "back her play".  I spoke positively about her, to the principal. 
Reagan's teacher started calling me at home, more and more often.  At first, I was very sympathetic.  I kept telling her to hire a lawyer.  All of my suggestions fell on deaf ears.
Eventually, I started feeling like I wanted to avoid her calls. 
Around parent-teacher conference time, things really started to go downhill.  Reagan's behavior in the classroom had improved 110%, but I felt like her academic instruction was really lacking.

Reagan's teacher told me that she had been suspended without pay for 3 days.  I think it really got to her.  She started acting like a completely different teacher.  She started being so short with the kids.  And was showing a temper.  This wasn't, at all, the demeanor she had at the beginning of the year.
It was confusing for the kids to have a teacher that went from being easy-going, to all of the sudden; taking away recess time at the drop of a hat.
Reagan's aide had  told me that she wasn't confident that Mrs. Olsen would be able to maintain the parameters that had been put in place, to help Reagan with her behavior.  It left me feeling very worried.  Especially because Reagan's aide's last day with Reagan was 2/14.

It all came to a head, the day I went in to teach my first lesson for Junior Achievement, on 2/13.
The morning started out fine.  I pulled out one of my suits.  It's been years since I've worn one!  Like, since before Reagan was born.  I was actually thrilled that it still fit.
And then I headed down to the school.

I was hanging out in Reagan's classroom for about 30 minutes, before Reagan's teacher had me start with my lesson.  I was observing what was going on, and it was so different from the other times I had been in the class.  Reagan's teacher was acting so harsh!
When it was finally my turn, Mrs. Olsen interrupted me a couple of times, and was "teaching over me".  I was mildly irritated, because I felt like I had control of the situation.
Anyway, at the end of my lesson I decided to stick around.  Reagan had been acting very well-behaved while I was there.

At the beginning of class, I had observed one girl walk over and get a tissue.  I took notice, because the tissue box had been moved from where it was the last time I had been in the class.
From across the room, I noticed that Reagan was wiping her nose, and I signaled to her, to get a kleenex.  She got out of her seat, and headed in that direction....  And Mrs. Olsen jumped all over Reagan!

She sternly told Reagan to put the tissue back, and return to her seat.  She told Reagan to ask permission before she got a tissue.  All the while, Reagan had snot on her nose.
I was in shock, and was starting to get angry.
Especially, when Mrs. Olsen didn't apologize, after I told her it was my fault.

Reagan's Aide pulled me out in to the hall and asked me if I had any questions for her? We had a chat.  And I told her that I was really worried about how things were going to go after she was gone.  I also told her that Reagan still didn't have an IEP, and she was shocked to learn that.
When we were done talking I decided to "pop in" on the Principal, to see why things were taking so long, with Reagan's IEP?

Imagine my surprise, when I got to her office, and she told me that she had just been about to call me.
She told me that Reagan's Aide had observed the other Kindergarten Class, and that she felt it would be a better environment for Reagan.
I think the Principal expected to encounter resistance from me, since I've been such an advocate of Reagan's teacher in the past.
The principal was quick to add that if Reagan went to the other class, she'd have her aide with her for another 30 days.
That was the kicker!  I was sold.
Considering how much progress Reagan has made with Ms. Bright, and the fact that my observations of Mrs. Olsen lately haven't been favorable; I considered this move to be the lesser of the two evils.  So to speak.
I have concerns about Reagan moving classes with only 3 months left in the school year.  The kids in Mrs. Olsen's class have been so accepting of her.  I worry that she won't be so well received in the new class.
I'm just going to have to pray that things go well.

After I spoke to the Principal, that day, I went home and told Nick about what had happened.
Then, I got a text from Mrs. Olsen.  And two phone calls.
When I called her back she just kept saying how disappointed she was with me, and that I was just helping the Principal build a case against her.

I felt like it was a very upsetting conversation.  I told Mrs. Olsen that the move hadn't been my idea.  And I told her that I thought it would be in Reagan's best interest to have Ms. Bright for another 30 days.  Mrs. Olsen didn't agree.

That night, I sat down and wrote Mrs. Olsen a letter.  I told her that I appreciated what she had done for Reagan at the beginning of the year.  And that I wanted to remember the good things.
The following day, was Valentine's Day.
When I picked Reagan up from school, the first thing Reagan's teacher asked me  was whether I had told Reagan that she was moving to another class?
I responded in the affirmative.  I wanted to give Reagan (Miss, I have a hard time with change) time to get used to the idea.
Mrs. Olsen told me that Reagan had "checked out of things", because she knew she was moving; and that Reagan had misbehaved the entire day.

Ms. Bright wasn't in class with Reagan that day, so I couldn't get her to corroborate Mrs. Olsen's comment.  But when I picked Reagan up, she was following direction, etc..  So, I doubted what Mrs. Olsen had to say.  I felt like she was just having sour grapes.
I bit my tongue, but I wanted to say: "that if I hadn't told Reagan, I was sure she probably would have heard Mrs. Olsen discussing it with the parents in the classroom, since I knew she had been telling other parents that Reagan was leaving".  My neighbor had asked me about it, the day before.  Mrs. Olsen had told her.

While I was standing there trying to be nice, another parent in the room, heard the conversation, and asked if Reagan was moving classes?
Mrs. Olsen answered, and said: "Yes.  SUPPOSEDLY, the Principal is pushing for this move".  She made it very clear that she didn't believe I had, had nothing to do with it.

By that point, I was so over it.  It has been such an emotionally charged situation!  And I really did appreciate everything Mrs. Olsen did for Reagan at the beginning of the year.
I started to cry a little bit.
I left.

Later that day, Mrs. Olsen texted me, and left a Voicemail on my phone.  She read my letter, and she said she was sorry I was upset, but I felt like she still thought I was a traitor.

At that point, I was done being nice.
All weekend, I honestly hoped that she would call again, so that I could take the "kid-gloves" off, and tell her how I really felt.
Specifically, that she has been a different teacher the past month, than she was prior; and not in a good way.  That I feel like she isn't handling the stress well, and it's to the kids' detriment.
That as much as I liked her, Reagan's well being is paramount to me; and moving her is what will be best.

She didn't call. 
But it doesn't mean that this conversation won't happen.
Only time will tell.

So, off in to the unknown.  Yet again.
Here's hoping that my girl keeps her happy/goofy face:

And maybe we'll get that damn IEP in place before the school year ends!

1 comment:

Get Hooked said...

Good luck my friend! Awesome that she has an aid though!