Thursday, February 18, 2016

Stuff About the Kids.

I am always grateful for the abundance of over-achievers that live in my neighborhood.
The local Mom's are completely on top of things.

At church, Reagan has been accommodated nicely.  They have her in a one-on-one situation for primary.  It has made such a difference!  She is retaining the lessons, and fighting with us a lot less about attending primary.

At school, things have been amazing!
Elsa's elementary school hosted a fundraiser, of which, we were the recipients.
People were embarrassingly generous.

I have struggled with finding a way to properly thank all of the people that have helped us.  These days, "Thank You" just doesn't seem big enough.
We never would have survived without the help of others.
I walk around with a heart full of gratitude.

Elsa's elementary school PTO hosted an Art Show.  It was fun.  And Elsa was proud to show off the snowman that she painted.
Thanks to Grandma Scheurer, Elsa's "100 days of school" art project turned out beautifully:
I was sick, so Kay helped Elsa with that particular homework assignment.

I very nearly asked Kay to make the poster say "For Sale", rather than "Elsa".  These days Elsa has been very trying.  To say the least.  Holy Moley!  She will only wear knee socks.  She throws a fit about wearing pants (because she wants to wear shorts- even though it is still winter outside!).  Depending on the day, she will insist that she wants to eat certain foods (that I never seem to have on hand), one day it is Naan, another it is meatballs, and this week it has been lasagna.  Of course, OF COURSE; the moment I purchase that food for her- she doesn't want to eat it anymore!!!  AHHH!  If I could pull my hair out, I would!
Middle Child.  Can't live with her, can't live without her.

Cohen is my favorite buddy.  Now that potty training is back on track.
Thank goodness for drama-free attitudes of boys.
Lately he has been saying a lot of things that make me raise an eyebrow, though.
Take our trip to Dollar Tree, for instance. 
We were there purchasing things to make a birthday poster for Elsa, since they were celebrating her half-birthday at school.
While I was paying, I heard Cohen tell the lady behind us, in line, "Humans shot my Dad with a gun.  He died."
My jaw was on the ground!
Cohen followed it up, immediately, by saying: "Colored Aliens killed my Mom.".
Where he got an idea like that, is beyond me???

One of Cohen's playmates asked him if he had any brothers?  Cohen, in the saddest voice he could muster, said: "No.  Only sisters".
When I told Nick about the comical exchange, Nick asked Cohen if he had any brothers?  Nick was hoping to replicate Cohen's prior response.  Instead, Cohen told Nick, "yes, I have a brother".  Nick inquired about where this brother was?  And Cohen replied, "my brother fell in a volcano".
Nice.

Yesterday, I was downstairs folding laundry.  Cohen came down and handed me my phone.  Cohen said, "The old man is going to come get me".
Me: "What???"
Cohen: "I talked to the old man, on the phone.  He said he would come get me."

Sure enough, my phone showed an incoming call that lasted 30 seconds.
It was scary.
I called the number back, and it was for a telemarketing scheme.
I made double-sure to set the alarm that night.

I'm pretty certain that it was just another one of Cohen's "stories".  Where he comes up with them, I don't know?
The girls loved watching Sesame Street when they were pre-schoolers.  Reagan's favorite show is still Curious George.  But Cohen has never enjoyed the shows that are educational.  He wants to watch Power Rangers!  (Colored Aliens) Kill me now!  LOL
That TV show is the worst.
And, did you know, that on Netflix; there are TWENTY different versions of Power Rangers?!  I counted.

Cohen may want to do Karate, and wrestle, like the people he sees on TV.  But he is also a total sweetheart.
At least once a day, Cohen will walk past me, nonchalantly, and kiss my head.  He follows the kiss up by saying, "I Wuv Ya".  It melts my heart.


Reagan still struggles, many days.
There's no rhyme, or reason to it?

One day, will be perfect.  And the next...   Well, let's just say- less than perfect.

I've had a hard time with the punishment that they've imposed upon her at school.
If she misbehaves on a Tuesday (for example), she will be excluded from the party that they are having on Friday.  Or, she will be told that she needs to go to "ISS" the following day.

I do not agree with consequences that are delayed.
I don't think that Reagan should get off scott-free from bad behavior.  But I think she should be reprimanded immediately.

I know that her teacher is doing the best he can, considering that he is dealing with a classroom full of special needs kids.  But I must say that I am looking forward to parent teacher conferences, so that I can have a distraction-free conversation with him.

All of this gets be back to my love-fest with Elsa's school.
The administrators, teachers, PTO, and parent-volunteers are all top-notch.
I'm always kept abreast of what is going on at Burton Elementary.  It is great.

At the Learning Center, where Reagan attends, I am not "in the know".
Yesterday, Reagan brought home a newsletter.  That was for the month of January.

AND, see this picture?
The coat she is wearing was stolen at school.
Not misplaced.  Stolen.
Reagan wore it to school one day, but came home that afternoon (in freezing temperatures) without it.

I received a note that said, Reagan had hung the coat up, outside the lunchroom (the teachers of Reagan's class eat lunch with them); and when they left the lunchroom to go to recess, the coat was gone.
I will say, that Reagan's classroom aide, Mr. K; impresses me.  He gave Reagan his coat, to wear for the rest of the day.  And he plays with the kids at recess.

But I'm still highly irritated about the coat incident!  After it didn't turn up (Reagan's name is written on the tag of the coat).  I went down to the school myself.
I sifted through the lost-and-found bin.  And searched the coat racks.  No coat.
When I mentioned it to Reagan's teacher, I was essentially told, "sorry Charlie".  Coats being stolen is apparently a common occurrence.

So, yes.  I am impressed with the other Mom's that make up my 'hood!  Thank you for taking care of me, and mine.

No comments: