Even after I was married I felt like I had a pretty good handle on the latest trends. I felt such gratification when I would go to work and my co-workers or clients would compliment me on my outfit, or my purse.
I cannot pinpoint the exact moment that things started to change, but over the past year+ I have had fleeting moments where I noticed that I was no longer hip. At first it was almost imperceptible, but lately it has been brought directly to my attention by Nick (Mr. I was still wearing my wardrobe from High School when I was 25 years old- and was only pulled out of that slump because my wife bought me new clothes and left my old clothes in a hotel in South America when we vacationed there) and by Heather (Little Miss candidate for What Not To Wear, until her big sister started giving her clothes, and now half of Heather's closet is comprised of clothing given to her by Big Sister).
But it wasn't only by these two that I noticed the change. A few months ago I went in to Nordstrom to buy a new pair of jeans. I have been wearing Lucky Jeans for YEARS. At Nordstrom I was searching everywhere in the denim section for Lucky's, and I couldn't find them. A cute young sales girl approached me and asked if I needed any help? I told her I was looking for the Lucky Jeans. In her best "valley-girl" voice she told me that Nordstrom no longer carried Lucky Jeans. Or, in other words: Listen, old lady. If Lucky's were still in style they'd be sold here. What a blow to my ego!
Then, right before Anchor Blue went out of business, I was shopping in there and at the checkout counter I mentioned to the sales girl that I loved that they were playing a Limp Bizkit song. Her comment, "Oh, is that who this is? We're playing a retro compilation CD right now". L.B. is retro? Who knew?! Apparently not, Reagan's Mommy.
Anyway, after Nick's and Heather's comments; combined with observations by total strangers I took a hard look at my closet and realized *GASP!* they were (somewhat) right.
I hate to "out" myself, but there were a few things in my wardrobe that really did need to be trashed. I thought I'd give them a fond farewell, and also; by posting about them I knew I would have to get rid of them- because if anyone that reads my blog saw me wearing these particular items I would surely be "called out on to the carpet".
So, here goes....
My BELOVED Red shoes. I would plan/buy outfits centered around these shoes. I purchased them back in 1999, and they have been everywhere with me. When they looked new I was always having complete strangers compliment me on how cute they were. Then the compliments stopped. Nick started referring to them as my "clown shoes", and Heather called them my "garbage shoes". If I were honest I would admit that they needed to go a long time ago. Instead, yes, I super-glued them to try to keep them together, AND I colored on the worn spots with a red sharpie marker. How sad is that? I have spent many an hour scouring eBay trying to find a new version of these shoes, to no avail. Oh well, I guess I have to let go sometime.
My treasured boots from Bakers. Also worn WAY past their prime. And also "repaired" with super glue. I wasn't able to go through with the "boots worn over your jeans" trend this past winter, but maybe next year- if that is still the style? I may have to jump on that bandwagon, considering that these former "wardrobe staples" are making their way to the dump.
Heather and I both bought identical pairs of these sandals back in 1997. Heather has taken many occasions to point out to me that she tossed hers YEARS ago. I know, I know. And if it weren't for the fact that I was wearing these sandals when my water broke and I went in to labor with Reagan I would probably still be wearing them. Sad, but true. Nick says they literally stink to high heaven; but they are so comfortable! No excuse, though, they have got to go.
Lastly, just so that people can see that my fashion crimes go beyond just shoes... A pair of my (according to Nordstrom girl) out of style Lucky Jeans. Yes, they have a frayed hole in the crotch. And yes, I have still been wearing them (I have just made sure to keep my legs crossed when I am sitting). I toyed with the idea of putting iron-on patches over the hole. But realized that I really need to adopt a "hard and fast" rule, that anything I feel needs to be repaired by me actually just needs to go in the garbage.
While I am "laying it all out on the table" I also fell prey to TV infomercials and the Home Shopping Network. In the past year I not only ordered BUMPITS (which are total crap, by the way. But I am sure I am the only person alive who needed to buy them to find this out), but also Eyelash Extensions off of HSN (they didn't work either). Granted, I called and ordered both items in the middle of the night, when I was awake feeding Reagan and saw them on TV- so I think that they are fashion crimes that can be forgiven, considering that I wasn't in "my right state of mind".
The socks (also pictured above) lead to the part of this post that will be my defense. Heather also makes fun of my white crew socks. She laughs at me, that all of my white socks are socks I owned in high school. Her observation is true. HOWEVER, I started working full-time shortly after I graduated from High School and M-F attire was always businesslike. My "high school" socks would only make appearances on the weekends- DURING THE WINTER (because I would wear sandals in the summer). None of the white socks I own have holes in them, so I think they are still acceptable, despite their age.
I spent over a decade heading in to the office every day, and dressing appropriately. It has only been in the past 21 months that I have started heavily relying on my more casual wardrobe, because I'm not pulling the 9-5'ers anymore. I'm a Mom.
I think that is the reason all of the pictured items really started showing their age. Because I started wearing them on a regular basis, rather than once every blue moon.
Heaven knows I'd love to put the heels and more formalwear on again every day. But they just are not practical when you are chasing a toddler around (and they really aren't safe when you are pregnant and unbalanced- in so many ways :)
I am going to make a pledge to myself to stop wearing clothes that make me a look like a bag lady (I can hardly wait until I fit in to the True Religion Jeans Nick purchased for me & I have a new pair of 7's that I bought right before I got pregnant again). I see other Mom's that always looked pulled-together and cute so I know it is possible.
I'm going to make my best effort to follow suit.
There, Heather and Nick. Are you happy now?
9 comments:
Golly, I wish my husband cared what I wear and pointed out things that were out-of-date, maybe then I could shop for new stuff without a guilty conscious! For what it's worth, I've always thought you dressed great, but then I might not be a good judge having been "mom-ed" for now 7 years! Have fun updating!
Ok, that is pretty much the funniest thing I have read all year. I'm glad you were able to part with all those beloved items and now you have a reason to SHOP! Hope you are doing well. Miss you guys lots. Reagan is getting so big, I can't wait to get together soon.
There are certain things I had growing up, that I wish I had kept. I had some jelly sandals I loved wearing when I was a kid. If they still made them today, I would buy them.
I had some Polly pockets I loved playing with when I was a kid, but I don't know what happened to them. I wish I had kept them so I could show my future kids what polly pocket use to look like, until they made the new ones. Maybe I can buy some from e-bay someday.
I can't wait to see you on Friday!
But you still are cool :-) At least to the people that matter :-)
If it makes you feel any better, hanging out with you usually reminds me how ultra-casual and under-accessorized I am. No pointy-toed high heels for me, ever!!! But, if it makes you feel any worse, even I don't wear anything that I wore in HIGH SCHOOL! I still have my own fashion problems, but 1997?! Holy Crap! Good for you for drawing the line!
Haha I loved this post! It is my life to a T!
Brooke, how did you KNOW?! I no joke just hit up my closet and took a trunk-full of items out for good, just like you. I loved every point you made :o) The only thing now is how to revamp our closets when it's so hard to shop (chasing toddlers around?)
It's a cruel cycle, but at least our kids look hip, right?!
I gave up cool 5 years ago, when I gave up my income. It really is a hard life. I feel your pain.
Driving down the street I saw a sign on a building that said: "Lucky, Guess, CK" I thought of you, I bet they have some good Lucky jeans for you to choose from. :) Really we're still cool, just think of all those kids who are wearing those tight ankle pants these days what are they going to think of themselves in 10 years?
Post a Comment