I felt my temperature rise, and my face went flush from embarrassment when I took Reagan with me and my Mom to get my Mom a rental car. We have been so lucky to have my Mom here for the month of January!
At the rental car office I was trying to pay attention to what the agent was saying to my Mom.
Reagan was standing at the glass door, looking out in to the parking lot. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a car park outside the door. The driver exited the car, and Reagan asked me, "Mommy, who is that?". She often asks this question when we are out in public, and 100% of the time, I have no idea who the stranger is that she is asking about. This time was no exception. I told Reagan that I didn't know who it was.
At that moment, an elderly gentleman walked in the door. He was wearing a black, leather, biker jacket, and jeans. He also had white hair and a white beard.
Before I knew what was happening, Reagan was jumping up and down, clapping her hands and yelling: "It's Santa Claus!". I think she really caught the poor guy off guard. I had to grab Reagan before she tried to climb in his lap.
Cute and embarrassing at the same time.
For weeks after Santa came to our house at Christmastime, Reagan was constantly telling me (in her saddest voice) that, "Santa went home".
After seeing Santa at the rental car office, we're back to hearing (at the most random times) that, "Santa went home".
A few days later.... I experienced a surge in my internal temperature- twice.
One moment my blood was boiling, and the next my heart was melting.
Reagan is a tall little girl. She has discovered that she can now reach the light switches in the house. This is especially lovely when she comes in and turns on the light in Elsa's bedroom, just as I am getting Elsa to go to sleep.
I should not have been surprised that Reagan is now able to reach items that are located on the top of her dresser, but I was.
I thought Reagan was taking a nap. But then I heard a little giggle come from her room.
I peeked in. At first I thought she was soaking wet!
Turns out; she had just managed to get the Vaseline off of her dresser, and had used it to paint her hair, clothing, & sheets (that I had just changed that morning).
It had already been a "day". Why does stuff like this happen at the worst time? This was when smoke was coming out of my ears!
Fortunately for me (and for Reagan!), my Mom was just a phone call away. My Mom saved Reagan from really being in trouble. She came directly to my house and helped me clean up.
We put Reagan in the tub. The vaseline in her hair wasn't going to go away without a fight. Reagan had SIX bath's before we got the gunk out. Things that did not work: Regular shampoo, Vinegar, Dawn dish soap, Ivory soap. On the internet the #1 suggestion to get Vasline out of hair was to wash it with whiskey.
First of all, if I had, had any in the house I guarantee it would have been long gone. I'm sure I would have started binge-drinking the second I was greeted with Reagan's latest antics. For my LDS friends, I'm sure most of you already know I am being facetious.
Secondly, I was pretty upset, but not enough to punish my child in that way. Can you imagine the burn it would create if you doused your child's head in hard alcohol?!
Another internet recommendation was Coca Cola. We aren't Coke drinkers. But I did have some Dr. Pepper in my fridge. Surprisingly, that did the best job of removing vasline.
That same afternoon, I put Elsa in her jumperoo. And I caught this on video:
Reagan loves posing and watching her reflection in the glass on the fireplace (that is what she is doing). If you can ignore my Mom's voice in the background, and the music from the jumperoo; you will be able to hear Elsa. I just LOVE Elsa's little belly laughs. And I especially adore seeing my girls so happy! This was when my heart was warm.
2 comments:
Always a handful that Reagan is :-) Glad that your mom is around to help out though!
Ok, so our daughter Sabrina did the same thing with the Vaseline, but she used Desitin! We came in and she looked like a Ghost. It was in her hair, mouth, everywhere. The bad news is even with the kids being 5,6,and 7 years old the messes haven't stopped, they're just more complicated!
Post a Comment