Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Post That Wasn't "Post" To Happen.

It is even more difficult to get your foot to your mouth when you have a pregnant belly in the way.
At the moment I am experiencing this firsthand.

Yes, you read that correctly. Although, I wish it were anything but true.

To begin with... I want to say that it took a year of "trying" to get pregnant with Reagan. And 9 months for Elsa.
I remember the disappointment that I would feel each month when I wasn't pregnant, particularly with Reagan. At the time, I was reading about "celebrities", such as Britney Spears, and Nicole Richie having babies, and I couldn't understand why God would send precious babies to these irresponsible hussies, but not to me?!

With both of my girls, I learned that; there was a plan for me. I felt that both Reagan, and Elsa came to our family when they were supposed to.

This time around, I'm not feeling that so much.

At the end of February, I went to remove my Nuva Ring, and discovered that it was gone. Missing. Lost.
I honestly, didn't think too much about it, because: considering my past history, I figured there was no conceivable (pun intended) way that I could be pregnant.
I started a new month of Birth Control, and went on my way.

After that there were "signs", but I didn't put things together for quite a while. To begin with, one day I went to visit my friend, Jacki, and as I was getting dressed that morning I looked in the mirror and thought "where did this muffin top come from"? A little while later, I was doing a full-cleaning of the house. After the girls went down for their nap, I decided to tackle the master bathroom. As I walked in to my bedroom I felt completely exhausted, and I literally could not find the energy the clean the bathroom. Instead, I collapsed on the bed and took a two hour nap!

I mentioned this to my Primary Care Physician, when I went in to see her for the sinus infection I had a while ago.

I told her it was so weird that I went from feeling awesome, to feeling downright awful in a short period of time. This doctor is the one that has been monitoring my thyroid since I had Elsa, so she ran some more thyroid tests. And called me back to let me know that my thyroid level as just fine.
Puzzling? Because I still felt awful.

I threw up all three days that I took the antibiotic for the sinus infection. Nick attributed it to the RX.

And let's not forget about my raging PMS. I was irrational, and hated EVERYONE (even worse than usual).
It was at this point that I asked Nick to bring home a pregnancy test from the pharmacy, just to rule it out.

I had also been having horrible headaches (I've never been a headache person), and thought a more likely answer to all of my symptoms was a brain tumor.

Nick never brought home the pregnancy test, and kept telling me that I wasn't pregnant.

So, I went out and purchased a pregnancy test on my own. After it came back positive, I sincerely wished that it had been a brain tumor, instead.
I was also an emotional wreck. For the next 24 hours I was useless, all I could do was cry.

I am SO not that girl. The one that has 3 kids ages 3 and under. And even after time has passed, I still can't figure it out? I have so many friends that are far more maternal than I am. AND a lot of friends that want more kids. Why then, am I the one that is having the unplanned baby? I still don't know?

The timing could not possibly be any worse. For Heaven's sake, I already have a baby! Elsa. And we booked our trip to Orlando, for Nick's Grandpa's birthday, ages ago. Our trip is set for November 12-19. And, OF COURSE, I am due the first week in November.
For those of you out there calculating madly... I am 13 weeks right now.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have announced so early. However, we are leaving for NYC on Monday; and I already look pregnant. I thought I'd just dispel any speculation before I posted pictures from that vacation.

I haven't felt well, but it has been nothing compared to how I felt during pregnancy with the girls. I was so sick with both Reagan and Elsa, that I couldn't eat much, and anything I did manage to swallow didn't stay down. I didn't gain weight until week 15-ish with both pregnancies.

This time around, if I don't eat I feel sick. I am hungry All. Of. The. Time. I gained 7 pounds from week 8 to week 12! And I was starting out the heaviest I've ever been at the start of a pregnancy.
I feel like my rear-end is getting fatter at the same rate my stomach is. Attractive, I know.
Losing weight after this baby is going to be super-fun, I just know it.

And let's not forget the emotional instability. This pregnancy, has taken mine to a whole new level. I've been angrier than ever before. And I cry at the drop of a hat.
I've never been the "weepy" type. In fact, my eyes have always been dry at the end of movies that were 100% tearjerkers, such as 8 Seconds. I went to see Wall-e and Up, when I was pregnant with Reagan and Elsa, respectively. And I didn't shed a tear.
This time around... I cried silently, and steadily all through Steve Carell's last episode on The Office. I cried when Reagan's Nursery leader gave me a block with Reagan's hand prints on it as a gift for Mother's Day. I have cried while reading blog posts, and articles on KSL's news website. It is ridiculous.

Also, I have ZERO energy. Even though my thyroid medication is spot-on. I know I have been a slacker friend. All I can say is: my apologies; and if you aren't understanding, there isn't much I can do about it. I do a poor job of keeping up on emails, these days; and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

I know that I was very vocal about being "done" having kids. And I did feel content with two children. I am far from thrilled about being pregnant again.

I'm not even going to venture a guess as to the gender of this baby. It doesn't matter anyway, because it WILL be our last. Guaranteed.

Some of you may remember a prior post, where I mentioned that we'd be naming any son we had "Jimmer". Oh, the irony. I was actually pregnant when I wrote that, only I didn't know it. At the time, I thought we were done having kids. I am fairly certain that I was lying when I wrote it too, as I doubt that we really will name the kid (if it's a boy) Jimmer.

It has made me sad to realize that I have not lived near my Mom during any of my pregnancies. I miss her a great deal (typing this will probably bring on another crying jag). And wish she were here to help me.

I wouldn't be surviving without my sweet husband, who has yet to issue an opinion about the whole thing (mostly, I think, because he is terrified of me). He allows me to go to bed at 6PM on the nights when I am "done", and he gets the girls to bed. Also, he has been doing the dishes on a regular basis (something he hasn't done since I was pregnant with Reagan)!


The only good thing that has come of this "to date" is that Nick hired me a housekeeper. At least my house is now clean one day a week.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Brooke! This post makes me nervous. I have an IUD and we've still been using "other" things because I'm a freak about the whole unexpected thing. After reading it all I just want to give you a big hug...we should chat, but only if you want!

Anonymous said...

Brooke, I'm sorry that this pregnancy is a total surprise. I would probably feel the same way if I was in the same situation. Thankfully we have the gospel to help us through our tough times. Have fun in NYC. I will pray for you.

Bing Math said...

You'll be fine. Things happen as they are supposed to. Just promise me that if it is a boy, you won't really name him Jimmer, nor will you make him wear a Duke cheer leading outfit.

Anonymous said...

Dont you hate it when something happens and youre not prepared for it! Luckily for me I "MADE" my hubby get "fixed" I didnt want any suprises. Hopefully you will start feeling better.....nothing worse than feeling like crap when you have little ones. MISS YOU!

Jill said...

Your symptoms sound a lot like mine when I was pregnant with boys--I didn't feel too sick unless I let myself get hungry, and I gained 10 pounds more than I did during the girl pregnancy. I'm sure that someday you will write a post about how you are so glad that this happened because you wouldn't have chosen it, but you sure love the kid, etc. But for now, it sucks to feel pregnant and to anticipate that many more diapers in your future! Hooray for a housekeeper, though!

Gerritt and Melissa said...

So jealous of your housekeeper! Good luck, you are a wonderful mom.I'm excited to hear how things go.

Dawn said...

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time with this. I can't even imagine. Hopefully things get better soon. Someday this will all be a distant memory and you'll be happy it happened, but it's hard to think about that now. Good luck! You can call or email me anytime if you need anything. I may not be anywhere near you, but I am a good listener if you need to vent :)

The Makanui Family said...

OMG! Brooke! Hang in there my lady! I totally relate to how you feel, I would be exactly the same way. But of course it will turn out a bit crazy but ok. I love how honest you are, makes me feel better since I'm not naturally maternal either, I have to try soo hard! Just have Nick get snipped, we did that 3 months after Cami and it's been the best thing ever. It was super easy on Liwai, he says go for it! You'll have a Scorpio...if the darn new zodiac says so but I still believe the old one. Miss you!

Laura and Ryan said...

It's been a month since you posted this... so I am assuming it's safe to say... CONGRATULATIONS!! I am totally convinced kids join our families when they are supposed to! My Kailee was only 8 months when I found out Ellie was on her way. I cried too. But it has been a lot of fun! This baby is lucky to be joining your family!!