Saturday, July 16, 2011

Busy, Busy.

The past two weeks have been a blur!
We have had something going on every day!

It didn't start out rosy. I attended the funeral of a childhood friend. From childhood to adulthood-ish-ness Josh lived 6 houses down from me, on the same street. He was the only boy in my Sunday school class that never tormented me or Michele (the only other girl in the class). He was only two weeks younger than me, and it still seems surreal to think that he passed away. I believe that Josh is in a better place now, free from the vice's that he had in this life; and finally able to get a "fair shake".
After the funeral, I went to lunch with a few other girls from Magna. Not a single one of us had ever "run in the same circles, socially"; but lunch was a complete delight! We had so much to discuss (I guess that happens once you become a Mom, you have a universal topic of conversation.). The time passed much too quickly.

The next day, we met up with the Wallwork's, before they left town to return to NM. I suggested we meet at Sugarhouse Park. Thinking: it would be fun for the girls to wade in the water.
As soon as we unpacked the car, for our picnic; I had one of those "duh" moments. Due to the heavy precipitation we've received all spring long.... the usually demur creek was now a quick-current river. There were warning signs posted everywhere. I should have thought of that before we got there.
We ended up spending most of our time trying to keep Reagan away from the water. And once we realized how futile our attempts were... Nick spent the rest of his time hanging on to Reagan, only letting her get in the (FREEZING) water, up to her waist.

As always, it was a good time.

I made another run to Park City, UT the following day. And met up with my BFF, Lindsay. No pictures. Sorry.
As I was getting ready to run out the door, I gave Reagan a hug; and told her to be nice to Brittany (the third babysitter Reagan had, had that week). Reagan started to cry, and it broke my Mommy heart. Reagan just wanted me to stay with her. At that moment I KNEW, I could never go back to being a working woman. It would kill me to leave my kids on a regular basis.
Even with my crazy emotions... I was still able to enjoy my time with Lindsay. It had been about 18 months since I last saw Lindsay, but we fell back in to our old routine immediately, and it hardly felt like a day had passed since our last meeting. I love friendships like that.

Reagan had an appointment with Suzanne, my hairstylist. Reagan only needed a trim, but it was still an attractive improvement. I was pleasantly surprised that she sat still while Suzanne cut her hair.


My Aunt Vickie made a stop at my house to teach me the fine art of cooking my Grandma's famous spaghetti sauce. Since it takes MANY hours... Vickie got me started and then gave me verbal instructions on how to finish it. Was I a little nervous about the end result? You bet. Especially, since I was "going at it alone". It was edible. That's all that matters. We ate it for dinner, and even though I suffered from pregnancy-induced acid reflux later in the evening; every bite was worth it (my Grandma's spaghetti sauce has pepperoni as a primary ingredient).
I only got one comment from the peanut gallery (AKA- Reagan) during the cooking process. Near the end, I was letting her stand on a stool to see what I was cooking, and when I lifted the lid to show her the bubbling spaghetti sauce she asked, "is it tooting?". I guess the sound and look of the bubbles in the spaghetti sauce could remind you of gas? I was just glad it wasn't a direct comment about my cooking this time.

My handsome nephew celebrated his 2nd birthday recently. We threw him a little impromptu party on the day of his birthday.
It started with Pizza. Jenny brought over a cupcake cake. I think the kids had more fun eating the sour gummy worms off their cupcakes, than eating the actual cupakes. Fine with me. I finished off Reagan's cupcake.


The kids went to the backyard to play. Reagan immediately headed for her swimming pool (that I had forgotten to empty earlier), and ended up soaking wet in her clothes. I took off her shirt and shorts, and told her to play in her panties while I went in to the house to get a swimsuit. A mere two seconds after I left, Reagan had stripped herself down completely. And once Grant saw this he followed suit (birthday suit,that is.- ha ha).
Fortunately, I was very quick in retrieving everyone's swimsuits, so the kids were only naked for a moment.


The kids had a great time on the makeshift waterslide! I didn't put a swim diaper on Elsa, and we all had a laugh at how much pool water her Huggies Overnight Diaper was able to hold- without leaking! Seriously, that sucker probably weighed a good 5 pounds when we took it off her.

All week long, Reagan had been doing private swimming lessons. The fee was more than group lessons, but by the end of the week Nick and I agreed that they were worth the extra cost.
My neighborhood friend, Caroline, turned me on to this specific swim school, and I was glad she did. Her two little boys took lessons from other instructors at the same time as Reagan.
But I believe Reagan was convinced she got the best instructor. Her teacher's name was, "Marshall"; and all week long (and beyond) it has been: "Marshall this... and Mashall that...". I think there may be a little bit of a crush going on here. Too bad, for her, he's probably 14 years her senior.

By the end of the week, Reagan was able to float on her back. Swim from Marshall to the wall of the pool; and then back to Marshall (breast stroke. Sort of.). Every day she begged Marshall to let her jump off of the diving board, and he'd let her do it 3 times.
I was very pleased with her progress!
And EVERY day, at the end of swimming lessons Reagan would sob. Literally. When we took her out of the pool. She didn't want her lessons to be over. Marshall got a good laugh out of this, because he said that she was the first kid he had ever seen that cried because she wanted to keep doing lessons. Every other kid that cried, would cry because they were scared and didn't want to do lessons. That's my Reagan.
In a week I have her signed up to do two weeks of group lessons at Layton Surf N Swim. I don't anticipate that she'll learn too much from it; but she can go and have fun.
And since I thought so highly of the swim school she went to last week... I signed her up for one more week of lessons in August.
After that, she starts preschool! So, every title of future blog post may be "busy, busy". But that's OK. Reagan seems to thrive on constantly moving. I think she gets that from her Mom.

No comments: