Saturday, July 16, 2011

Just Keep Blogging Along....

I don't think I'm the only one who is disillusioned with blogging.
It really seems that blogging is no longer "En Vogue".
A lot of the blogs on my sidebar have probably been abandoned, but I keep them listed in hopes that their authors take up posting again.

Last month, I was debating about giving up on blogging. Posting takes a large chunk of time. And I don't feel like I have a great deal of interesting material.
However, at the end of the week (when I was having this internal discussion), the company that I have ordered my blog books from sent me an email with a discount code. So I was FINALLY able to get my 2010 blog book done, to add to my collection of other years.
The book turned out so well, just like the ones I have done in the past. And I was reminded about why I blog. I do it to keep a record (even if it is a little mundane) of what is happening in our family.

I know that a lot of my talented friends have "branched off", and have done specialized blogs.
In particular, I adore:
www.mamasonadime.com
My Friend Jacki maintains this blog and it is very helpful. Anyone who wants to save money ought to check it out.

AND:
http://makemyselfathome.wordpress.com/
My talented Cousin-In-Law writes this blog. It's a fun compilation of recipes, crafts, etc...

For a millisecond I considered doing a blog spin-off. But then I realized I don't have any talents worth blogging about.

To illustrate my point, I'll relate the following conversations I had with Reagan earlier this week:

Convo #1: Setting the scene- I had some Bananas that were brown, and decided to make Banana Bread. I didn't want to put too much work in to it, so I threw all of the ingredients in to my bread machine.
I used wheat flour, and chocolate chips. So when the bread was finished it was pretty brown.
When I turned it out on to the counter Reagan took one look at it and asked, "is that poop?"! I assured her that it was not, and then went in to Elsa's nursery to get her up from a nap.
When I brought Elsa out to the kitchen I gave her a small piece of Banana Bread to eat. Reagan saw me do this, and she screamed, "No! Elsa, don't eat it; that's poop!".
OK. Elsa may not have any idea what Reagan was saying; but I do. And it did nothing to help my confidence in the kitchen. So no, I won't be starting a cooking blog any time soon.

Convo #2: Nick worked all night-shifts this week, and on Thursday he worked a double. One of the days, Reagan asked me, "where her Daddy was?". I told her that Dad was at work. She said, "Yeah, Daddy works at Walgreens. Daddy is a Pharmacist".
Out of sheer curiosity; I asked Reagan, "What does Mommy do?"
Reagan thought about it for a moment and then said, "Mommy Pregnant".

Yes. That about sums up the past few years of my life. No wonder she thinks that being pregnant is my profession. I calculated that by the time this baby is born, I will have spent 70% of time time, in the last four years, being pregnant.

I guess I could blog about being pregnant. But it certainly wouldn't be uplifting or positive, since I don't find much joy in being pregnant.

Things I am passionate about:
Sleep. I am good at it, I like it, and so do my girls!
See?

Elsa didn't even stir when I took this picture (and I even used my flash!).

Reading. I LOVE to read, but I'm not able to do it consistently. So that won't work.

Being a Mom. Most days I find immense gratification in parenting. My encounters with my kids make me laugh, and make me happy. And since I already have a blog about this, I'll keep on in that direction.
Even if I only have two consistent readers.

9 comments:

Bing Math said...

I read your blog. I think you should keep blogging. Sometimes the long, picture, vacation, holiday posts take a lot of time. But short, useless posts are pretty easy and often shed a lot more insight into who you are and what you are thinking. I'll go back through my blog books occasionally and read some stupid thing I wrote and will chuckle. Plus, what else are you going to do with all the pictures you take of your girls if you don't publish them in the blog book? They'll just sit on your hard drive.

Keep blogging. Keep making your books. When you're 100, someone will be glad you did!

Oh . . . do you know what you are having yet? Jimmer or Jimmette? How are you feeling this time around?

Get Hooked said...

You gotta keep at it. Just the other day I was suggesting to a friend that she talk to Early intervention. Because I wrote down my experience I was able to give her more info. Another time my SIL asked me how much Trace weighed at 15 mo. I went to my blog and found it. You aren't blogging for your readers now. It's for your readers later. They are way more important than us. Your kids will appreciate it.

Kevin Imlay said...

Brooke,

We look at this, though we don't comment. We especially laughed at this post because we can picture Reagan warning Elsa about that. It was really funny. The highlight of the week.

Dad and Mom

Anonymous said...

Brooke, I often felt that way about my blog too. There was once a time when people actually took the time to comment. Now it seems like no one even cares anymore. That's why I try and take the time to comment because I know it means alot to people.

I really like your blog and would be sad if you discontinued it. You have much more interesting things going on in your life than mine.

Jonathan & Heather said...

What company do you use to print out your blogs?

Emily said...

I hope I'm one of those 2 consistent bloggers, cause I really am! I blog for myself and my family and comments from others are a welcome addition. There's nothing better than spending a few minutes with or without my kids perusing old blog posts. If my kids are there, they are completely delighted by it and I know in years to come our family will be so glad to have these little mundane treasures to behold! Life's made up of lots of mundane moments, they're worth remembering.

PS I snorted when I read about Reagan's "is that poop?" comment...she's awesome!

pps boy or girl? i hope boy!

Jacki said...

I'm with everyone else. I always read your blog! It helps me feel like I'm hanging out with you even though, with our busy lives we aren't together that much.

And you are much more talented than you think. :)

Julie said...

Don't stop. Joe and I always laugh at your blog. I am terrible at leaving comments but I do enjoy your blog.

Kristin said...

I read them! They are great. :)