Sunday, August 21, 2011

News for the Week.

I have been saving boxes in anticipation of being able to pack up my mountain of girls clothes and accessories; to take to my sister's house.
Alas, it's not meant to be. She had her ultrasound this week and found out that she will be welcoming baby boy #3. Congratulations, Heather!
I guess this means I will continue to accumulate "girl" items (I already have seven of the giant-sized rubbermaid containers, of girl clothing- ALONE, sitting in our basement storage room).
Between my brother, and Nick's two brothers; one of them is bound to have a baby girl sometime in the future that I can dump, uh; I mean: BESTOW- all of my girl items on, right?!

On Thursday, my Great-Aunt Lois passed away. She was my Grandma Chellson's sister. As a child, I spent a lot of time around my Great Aunts, and Uncles (on my Mom's side). Lois would have been 103 in a few weeks. Her sense of humor was always one of her best traits. The last time I visited with her, one of the funny things she said to me was:
"The dirt in my wrinkles is older than you!".
One of her daughters purchased a Swiffer Mop for her to use, because at age 98 she was still scrubbing her kitchen floor on her hands and knees. Do you think she used the swiffer? Of course not.
She had a tradition of making loaves of Christmas Bread for her family. It was a personal highlight of my holiday season. That bread was delish! Every year, for years, Lois would tell me, "well, this is probably the last time I'll be able to make Christmas bread for you, because I'm sure the Lord will take me by next year". She was 102 when she died, so it goes without saying that she had been giving me this same "line" for ages.
4 Christmases ago, I was at her house Lois confided in me that when she was making a recent batch of Christmas bread, something seemed: "off" in the finished product and she realized that she had forgotten to add flour. She told me that she gave the bread away, anyway; because, "who was going to criticize bread made by a 99 year old woman?". Hilarious.
It was shortly after this incident that Lois was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. Due to the fact that she was so elderly and had some other existing health problems; her physician decided not to treat the cancer. Instead, they just did everything possible to make her comfortable (a lot of morphine, I think?).
This tough lady survived the Great Depression, WWII, and more; and without any treatment she survived with an aggressive cancer for 3.5 years! Amazing, no?
She will be missed. But I know she's in a better place.

Just for my own record keeping purposes, here is her obituary.
Lois R. Perkins 1908 ~ 2011 Lois passed away August 18, 2011 at the home of her daughter. She was born September 7, 1908 to George Riley and Mina Melinda Wilson Richards in St. Anthony, Idaho. She married Claude Ray Perkins in Hollywood, California and was later sealed in the St. George Temple. She worked at the Hollywood Broadway department store in California for over 10 years where she waited on many of the old-time movie stars. Lois is survived by her children, Terry (Hal) Madson, Sharon Trotter, Dennis (Cindy) Perkins; six grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren and brother-in-law, Vernal Chellson. Preceded in death by her husband; four sisters and two brothers. The family would like to thank Comfort Hospice for the loving care they gave to mom. Private family services are being held under the direction of Redwood Memorial Mortuary.

In the way of GOOD NEWS! Nick's brother, Nate; is getting married! We are very happy for him.

Here is an old picture of him with Reagan. I don't think I ever posted it. And a recent picture of him with Elsa.


As illustrated below, Elsa has been following in her big sister's footsteps. Little mischief maker!


It's a good thing she is so cute.

1 comment:

Bing Math said...

Sorry to hear about your aunt. She sounds like a neat lady!