Enrollment for 8, 30 minute swim lessons at Layton Surf N' Swim was 25 dollars. Funny, how it ended up feeling like a total waste of money to me.
Especially considering that I paid more than double that for 5, 20 minute lessons at Hunsaker Swim School, and lessons at Hunsaker left me feeling like it had been worth every dime.
Surf N' Swim was, no exaggeration, a nightmare. Too many kids per teacher. On two occasions Reagan lead a mutiny from the pool. She was bored, and figured that she and all of the other kids in the class would have more fun playing on the playground outside the pool, rather than in the pool.
Her assumption probably wasn't too far fetched. But, I hadn't paid swimming tuition for her to play on a playground. No. Apparently, what I paid for; was 30 minutes of play-time in the pool. Every day it was the same thing. The kids would walk from one shallow end of the pool to the other shallow end. Then, they'd do Ring Around the Rosies, Sing, "The Wheels On the Bus", and inevitably; it'd be time for Reagan to make an attempt at some sort of escape from the class. Can you blame her?
She didn't learn a thing about swimming, and I didn't even stick around to collect her "report card" on the last day of class. What was the point, since I wouldn't be taking her back.
The following week, we went back to Hunsaker Swim School for her second round of private lessons. What a difference!
Marshall was Reagan's teacher again (per her request).
By the end of the week, Reagan was a proficient swimmer (for a 3 year old).
Reagan will take lessons there again next summer.
The only downside is that I am going to have to hear about: "Marshall, Marshall, Marshall"; every other day for the next 9+ months.
I guess that is a small price to pay for a good swim teacher.
2 comments:
I think Reagan was just a stinker because she wanted to get back to see Marshall ;)
I know it's a little bit out of your area, but Molly and I took group took parent/child lessons at Kearns Oquirrh Park Fitness Center and observed many group swim classes while we were there. They were very professional and had specific skills they were working on for each level. You can schedule private lessons there as well. It probably just depends on where you go.
Sorry most of the lessons weren't that good, but glad she learned a little bit.
When I was a little kid, my siblings and I took swimming lessons from the YMCA and they had great teachers. I learned how to swim pretty quickly, but I don't know if there's a YMCA in Utah or not. Good luck with swimming lessons next time.
Post a Comment