Friday, October 21, 2011

Top of My List.

Every day, for the past week, doing a blog post has been an item at the top of my "to do" list. Obviously, I am not getting a whole lot done.

The highlight of my week, last week was the baby shower that some lovely neighbor girls threw/hosted for me! It was a Dr. Seuss theme. So adorable! And in classic pregnant fashion, I completely forgot to take a camera to take pictures! Believe me though, it was incredible; and I was amazed and grateful that so many people showed up to help me celebrate our soon-to-be arrival.

In addition to the anticipation I feel about baby boy coming (in 12 days! Yipes!)... I am also giddy with excitement about my Mom's arrival in a week! Originally, she was coming on 11/5. But I think she was starting to hear the "neediness" in my voice, and so she graciously changed her plane ticket to arrive next Saturday. Which is good, because I am definitely feeling like I want my Mommy.

Since I last posted...


Nick and I took the girls to the Treehouse Museum. The one (and only) good thing that has come from Elsa's refusal to walk is that we still don't have to pay for her when we go to the Treehouse. Reagan has her annual pass, and children that can't walk don't have to pay. But, just because she doesn't walk, doesn't mean she stays out of trouble. The kid is a little monkey, and will climb anything and everything.


And she is such a tease. She can go from a sitting position to standing up, no problem. I am constantly being greeted by the following scene:

Although, usually she is fully clothed. But you get the idea. The kid could stand around like this all day. Please explain to me how she can stand, but cannot walk?

On grocery shopping day, Nick let the girls chose donuts from the bakery. Of course, they didn't want plain old glazed.

As if it wasn't obvious, by the end result... Elsa picked a donut with pink icing, and Reagan chose one with green icing. Who needs Halloween costumes? I should just buy the girls more donuts with icing. Any parent that has ever battled extreme laundry stains, such as these, will quiver with fear at the sight!

Reagan had her first field trip for pre-school. Nick had the morning off of work, so I asked him if he wanted to be one of the volunteer parents for the trip. He said yes. But when he realized that he'd be driving and chaperoning several other kids, he didn't seem so keen about going. In the end, Elsa and I ended up tagging along too.
The field trip was to Pack's Pumpkin patch.

Here are the kids from her class (minus two little boys) and her teacher.
The kids listened to a story about planting a pumpkin, got to pick a pumpkin from the patch, and ran around in the hay bale maze. Lots of fun.

The week has been finished off by trips to the Doctor for both me and Reagan. Mine was the weekly OB appt. I'm dilated, and Dr. Johansson estimated that my baby currently weighs 6 lbs. 14 oz. Big boy!
Reagan went to see Dr. Paul the pediatrician. If my family were catholic we would have nominated Dr. Paul Swensen for sainthood. Seriously, the guy wonderful. My Mom was a nurse in his pediatric clinic for years, and he was actually my pediatrician growing up. I think the world of him, and it is totally worth the drive to Salt Lake (for me) to take my kids to him.
Anyway, I had a few concerns about Reagan; so I took her in for a visit to discuss them with him. He assuaged my fears... Yes, it is normal for a 3 year old not to want to sit down for any length of time. And gentle reminders not to chew on writing utensils will be the best way to get her to stop this habit (in due time).
The chewing on crayons, chalk, pencils... was my main concern. Dr. Swensen said he believes it is just a bad habit (they way some kids bite their nails). But to be safe... he ordered a blood test to check for mercury, or anemia.
On our way to the lab I just wanted to cry. But I knew I had to keep it together for Reagan's sake. I hate needles, and I hate the thought of my child in pain even more!
The nurse couldn't get Reagan's vein on the first try. When I saw her "digging" for it, rather than just pulling the needle out I snapped! I hate it when they do this to me, and I couldn't help but ask the nurse to stop.
I am sure she was thinking that I was "one of those" type parents.
The nurse did manage to get Reagan's vein in the other arm, thankfully.
I was sweating through the whole procedure, and my palms are sweaty now, just recounting the memory. It's something I hope I don't have to relive for a LONG time.
For Reagan's part, she was a trooper. She handled it better than I did. And for her bravery, I took her to McDonald's for lunch, and to play on the playplace.
I love my kids more than words can say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brooke, I'm so glad that you had a good baby shower. I hope you got a lot of stuff you need for your baby.

I use to think I had to blog every week and I would go nuts if I didn't, but now my mindset has changed and I don't care if I don't. I have learned to appreciate when an event happens in my life. Don't feel you have to blog all of the time. I love reading your blog no matter when you post.