Thursday, May 24, 2012

Trip To St. George

Nick had a conference for UPhA (Utah Pharmacist Association) in St. George last weekend.  It just so happened that Jeff (my sister, Heather's, husband) had to do some training for his job, in St. George at that time too.
For good measure we conned persuaded my brother, Brian, and his wife; Jenny to come too.

We drove down on Friday night.  This kids did really well.

We all stayed at the TownePlace Suites.  Jeff and Heather got a Studio Suite for their family, and Brian and Jenny shared a two bedroom Suite with our family.

Saturday morning I went to drop Nick off at his conference and we found that one of my tires was very low. I filled it up with air, and then Heather and I went shopping.
We drove it back to the hotel, and got everyone ready for the day.
We were going to go to the Brigham Young Summer Home for a tour, but I found that my tire was low again!
My little brother inspected the tire and found a nail in it.
I had to miss the tour so that I could get my tire repaired. 
After naps we went to the Dixie Rock and hiked around.
If it hadn't been for all of the broken glass on the ground this would have been the best part of the trip.
Literally, there was so much broken glass on the ground it was ridiculous.
I had the foresight to put Reagan in tennis shoes.  But Elsa just wore her sandals, and she got a pretty nasty cut on her toe. 

The next day we went to Zions National Park.
It was hot.  Like, 90 degrees, what were we thinking?! hot.
There were six adults, and six kids.  That meant that each adult was in charge of a kid.  The entire time I kept congratulating myself on tricking Brian and Jenny in to coming.  Without them, this trip would have been a lot more stressful.
Despite the temperature, we decided to hike.
We did the hike down to the lower Emerald Pools.

The trail was "paved".  I use this term loosely.  Even with the obstacles, our umbrella strollers worked like champs!  Until we hit the part of the trail where there were stairs.

Some people in our party abandoned the strollers and hiked a little farther up. 

Nick actually took Reagan and kept going.  The rest of us headed down to get our picnic lunch ready.

I must have managed a pretty smooth ride for Cohen on the way down, because he fell asleep. 
We had our lunch, and then did the scenic Mount Carmel Highway drive.

When we got back to the hotel we cooked a spaghetti dinner and relaxed.  I think all of the kids enjoyed being on vacation together.  I know I had fun.

While we were there we did a lot of swimming.  Both in the hotel pool, and at the local splash pad.

 
Reagan loved her water wings so much, she slept with them on.

The drive home went better than I expected, or maybe I am just easily impressed?  We made the 4+ hour trip from St. George; back to our home without stopping.

It left me feeling much better about our upcoming trip to Silverthorne, CO.  That is going to be a 7 hour trip (one way) in the car- but now I think we may be able to pull it off.

No comments: