Several months ago Nick and I decided that we were going to go to Florida for spring break in 2014. However, plane tickets to Orlando were astronomically priced. After all, Orlando is the #1 spring break destination for families.
I could stomach paying $350 in airfare for one ticket. But the cheapest ticket I could find was $550!
Begrudgingly, I agreed that Orlando was going to be too expensive for us, over spring break.
Nick and I tossed around several other destination ideas. Seattle. California. St. George. Eventually, Nick said that we needed to go somewhere really affordable, since we are doing something expensive in October, and going to Hawaii.
So, we ended up on the road to Boise, ID!
We took Nick's car. And if it hadn't been for the driving around the city- we could have made it there and back on one tank of gas!One of my dearest friends, Lindsay, lives in Boise with her adorable family. I was excited to visit.
DAY 1:We checked in to our hotel. It was the Springhill Suites Boise. But the name was misleading. That hotel was on the outskirts of town, by a lot! Technically, I think it was in Meridian. It was a 20 minute drive to anywhere we wanted to go. Yuck.
Even though the room fit our family, I think that the next time we go to Boise, I'll get a room at the Courtyard in downtown Boise.
After we were settled we went to meet Barnes' for dinner.
There was an Argentinian place, Tango's, that did empenadas, that was getting amazing reviews! I wanted to eat there.
If there's a "shady" part of Boise, this restaurant was located there.
We got our table, and noticed several bullet-holes in the glass front of the store. The kids were fascinated by them,
I am going to say that the holes in the glass added to the authentic feel of the joint.
Empenadas (both savory and sweet) were $2.50 a pop. And they were huge!
I ate an "elpuerco" for my entree. It was pillowy heaven! The pastry was phenomenal, and it was filled with: shredded pork, salsa verde, and potatoes. I had a dessert one as well: Bavarian cream and cherries.
The next time we are in Boise, this will be a place we have to stop.
After dinner we went swimming. And then we called it a night.
DAY 2: We ate breakfast at the hotel, and headed to Discovery Center Idaho. Admission for our family was just over $30, and I thought that the place appeared pretty run down. It didn't seem as cool as some of the children's museums in Utah. I was thinking that the cost wasn't worth it. But my kids had a blast. We spent over two hours there.
Reagan and Elsa enjoyed playing with the green screen:
There was an exhibit that allowed your to lie on a bed of nails.In the end, was it worth the price? I dunno.
I can't say that I'd go back there again, given the opportunity. But again, the kids really liked it.
After the discovery center, Lindsay suggested that we take the kids to a bowling alley called, Big Al's. I was very leery about this. I tried to explain to Lindsay about how, historically, Reagan didn't do well in places like that. But Reagan had been doing so well up to that point; that even I was justifying it. I let the kids vote, and the other option I gave them was to go see a movie.
The kids voted for bowling, so off we went.
I should have listened to my intuition. Big Al's was loud, and flashy! All of the bowling lanes had giant movie screens, and they were playing music video's.
Reagan did OK for a few minutes. But then she had a total sensory overload; and she fell apart.
I took her out to the car, and tried to calm her down. We didn't get much bowling in.
Nick and I took the kids back to the hotel. We had some "down time". And then we went to Barnes' house.
Lindsay had booked a sitter, so that the adults could go out to dinner.
When she told me that we were going to Barbacoa for dinner. I had to feign excitement. In SLC Barbacoa is a fast-food-ish dining establishment.
Barbacoa in Boise, as it turns out, is their most upscale restaurant.
It was fantastic!
Nick said his steak was the 2nd best he'd ever eaten.
I had the duck. It was also pallet pleasing.
As appetizers we had guacamole, made table-side. And Randy ordered a round of oysters.
That day just so happened to be my actual birthday.
Lindsay told the server, and I was brought a novelty cake made entirely of cotton candy. It had a candle in the middle.
I've never seen anything like it! It was so whimsical. It the food hadn't of been so good, the cotton candy cake would have been the highlight of my dinner!
DAY 3: Nick took the girls swimming, and Cohen got to accompany me to breakfast with Lindsay. The original plan had been to meet Lindsay at a restaurant called Goldy's. It's famous in Boise. But the wait was 45 minutes, and the hostess was really rude to me.
Lindsay suggested we eat at another place, Bardenay.
It was delicious. I have no desire to go to Goldy's, after eating at Bardenay. The Bardenay french toast had a hint of citrus in the egg batter; and the hommefries were crispy and perfect.
It was a pleasure to be able to sit and talk with my old friend, Lindsay. I met Lindsay when I was 19 years old. It was one of those instant connection-type friendships.
We went through our wild-child stages together. Then, both of us pulled it together and married well. She has two gorgeous children, and she is so involved with the Junior League of Boise. I really admire her.
When we finished our long, leisurely breakfast I went back to the hotel. My kids were all cranky. So, we packed it in and headed home
Boise was a short, sweet visit. Perfect for spring break this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment