The first Saturday in August, every year, is Fruit Heights Founder's Day.
The festivities, the first year we attended, blew my mind! It was so great. As the economy suffered, so did the quality of Founder's day...
But don't look a gift horse in the mouth, right?! I shouldn't complain. It's free.
This year, was the 75th anniversary of the founding of the city of Fruit Heights.
They always kick Founder's Day off with a free 5k. I've always wanted to do it, but never have.
This year, I tried to recruit my longtime friend, Spencer, to do it with me.
Since running the Hobbler, I had only done two runs, of any significant distance. My IT band was still hurting. I wonder if I tore it?
Anyway, the night before this 5k, my sister suggested that I go to a running store called "Striders", to get a strap to help my IT band. So, I did. It helped.
6AM, the day of the race, I begrudgingly got out of bed. And found that Spencer wasn't going to go with me, as planned (he had a good excuse). I toyed with the idea of going back to bed... But figured, exercise never hurt anyone.
That same morning was also the Bair Gutsman race. That feat is the real deal! Look it up, it's nuts! It starts in Fruit Heights as well.
So, I think most of the hard-core runners were probably doing that race.
A little more than 50 people showed up to do the Fruit Heights Founder's Day 5K.
The course went along Mountain Road, in Fruit Heights, from the City building; to a plant nursery and back.
Straight up. It sucked. At least, the first mile did. It was uphill.
Even though I wasn't enjoying myself, I was still keeping a good pace. There was only one girl ahead of me at the 1.5 mile mark.
The water station was being manned by a couple that now live in Fruit Heights (the Hunt's), but spent years in Magna. They're my parent's age. When I was a grade-schooler, my Mom took institute classes with Sharla Hunt. Their cute daughter was the same age as Nick and me. We all went through school together.
Anyway, I stopped to chat with the Hunt's. Mid race. It was fine.
While I was talking, two cute gals passed me.
I got back to the race.
I made up a little ground between the girls that passed me, before the finish line came in to view.
But about 100 yards before the end, both of those girls turned on some serious after-burners and sprinted to the finish.
I'm too old, and slow to match that speed.
When all was said and done: I came in 10th overall, and 4th in women.
I felt pretty good about that. And I have to admit that I felt even better when I realized that the two girls that were speedy-gonzales' were Davis High School cross-country team members! It was a fun race.
There were otter pops at the end.
Once again, it was Nick's Saturday to work. He got home at 6PM, so at 6:30PM we went to Nicholl's park for the big celebration.
Reagan braved the climbing wall. It was pretty cool to watch her.
Cohen and Elsa rode the train.
None of us ate prior to leaving. We were all starving. There was supposed to be food there. But they were out of pizza, and the lines for the other two food vendors were lengthy.
In years past, there's been free food too. Stuff like: popcorn, popsicles, and cotton candy. But this year there was none of that.
They still had the free fishing pond.
I was seeing kids walking away with prizes like: the video game Infinity multi-character pack thingy's, remote control cars, and DVD's.
Again, with that whole Gift Horse deal...
But the prizes they gave to my kids were pretty crappy.
It seemed like everywhere I looked: there were kids wearing shirts that said things like: Bennion Junior High School, and Adams Elementary.
The park was packed like I've never seen it before! It wasn't ideal for Reagan. My honest opinion (since the event obviously attracted more than just Fruit Heights residents) is that they either need to make it bigger to accommodate the growing number of attendees. OR, they need make it an event exclusive to the taxpayers of Fruit Heights.
I probably sound like a snob.
But this years Founder's Day was a nightmare! Too many people.
We ended up leaving.
And we got dinner at Wendy's.
Maybe next year will be better?
No comments:
Post a Comment