Saturday, May 16, 2015

Seattle Trip 2015

So, Nick and I celebrated ten years of marriage on March 5th.
 
Originally, we were gung-ho about planning an amazing vacation.  NZ Kris, Shane, & Sara were going to Europe for the entire month of April, and I started making plans to join them while they were in Italy.  But it became glaringly apparent that it wasn't the right time for me to do a dream vacation like that.  Bottom line: I could stomach the idea of leaving my kids for 10 days.  And it didn't make sense to go for a short time...
So, the day after Thanksgiving, I booked a room at the Marriott Resort in Cancun.  And was thinking that would be a great way to spend our 10th.
But even that wasn't sitting well with me.
 
In hindsight, I can see that God had his hands in my plans...  Nick and I decided to do a long-weekend in Seattle.
We both love that city.
Our hotel was right across the street from the hospital where I delivered Reagan.  Happy memories.
Right after our flight landed in Seattle, I headed down to the waterfront in Kirkland, and met up with my dear friend, Kathleen.  She was the first person to befriend me, when we moved to Seattle.  We worked at The Commerce Bank of Washington.
These days, Kathleen is working as a nurse in the oncology at Seattle Children's hospital.  I adore Kathleen.  And I was so glad that we were able to visit.

Our first morning there, I took Nick to the "Barking Frog" restaurant.  It's one of my favorite breakfast places.  And now it's one of Nick's too.

Later that afternoon, I met up with my BFF, Stephanie, for lunch at Ruth's Chris.  She is, as Anne Shirley would say, "my kindred spirit".

In the evening, Kris and Phil picked us up from the hotel; and we all went to La Rustica.
Yes.  A huge part of this trip was about eating.  But Seattle is such a "foodie" town, I need to take advantage of it, while I can get it.
After dinner, Phil found parking along Alki Beach, and we took some great pictures.
I love my Man!  What a great decade of marriage we have had.

Day 3, we resurrected an old ritual, and got up early to meander around Pike Place Market.  There is nothing like donuts from the daily dozen!
And for the first time, ever, I visited the "Gum Wall".  It's true.  For all of the hundreds of times I've visited Pikes I had never seen the gum wall.
Cool.  And Gross, at the same time.
When we finished at Pike's, Kris picked me up again; and we had some girl time, getting mani/pedi's.  Kris just bought a new car.  A black Range Rover.  Riding around in it made me feel like a celebrity.

Contrast that, with our rental car:
Mini Cooper's are not my favorite car.  But they are definitely better than Fiats.

After pampering ourselves, Kris had a family thing to get to.  So, I went back to the hotel to hang out with Nick.
Nick was absorbed in watching Duke play basketball.  So, I took myself shopping at the North Bend outlets.

Day 4, we went to McCormick and Schmick's on Lake Union for their buffet brunch.  It was the ideal way to end the trip.
And if it would have ended there, I would have been in heaven.
The flight home was a nightmare!  The worst turbulence I've ever experienced!  People were puking all over the place.  I broke out in a cold sweat, and had my barf bag ready.  Yikes!

But that was really the only hiccup.
I am so glad I was able to spend quality time with Nick.  And that he was gracious enough to let me connect with the women who are such big role-players in my life.

And I'd be remiss, if I didn't recognize my so-close-she's-practically-my-sister, friend, Emily.  Emily drove from Wyoming with her three kids, to stay at my house and watch my kids, while Nick and I were gone.  Bonus: she had a hot dinner waiting for us when we got home!

Seriously, where do people like this come from?  I am so lucky to be surrounded with friends that are as amazing as this.

1 comment:

No Lymits said...

I am convinced that people like that come because of you. You are an amazing friend and it inspires others!