Next week, I will have my port put in on Tuesday. I will also have a PET scan, to see if the cancer cells have used my circulatory system to hitch a ride to other places in my body. And potentially, I will start Chemo, Friday.
I also have to get Reagan to the Children's Center, for an appointment. And I have to go to the school for an IEP meeting for Reagan.
Real life doesn't stop, when you have cancer.
I need to squeeze in a haircut. Dr. Buys commented, that she nearly cried when she met me, because she knew I was going to lose my long, beautiful hair.
I want to cut my hair really short. I'm thinking I'll rock a faux-hawk!
That way (maybe?) I can reduce the traumatization of going bald. If I do it in "stages".
I'm going to donate the bulk of my hair to Pantene Great lengths.
So, that means I also need to fit in a haircut. AND, wig shopping. AND, shopping for silk scarves (I've heard wearing silk scarves is more comfortable, than wearing wigs).
Because, once I start Chemo, I've been told that my hair will fall out within 14 days.
I am putting together a calendar (in e-form) for people to sign up, to help me get my kids where they need to be (ie- swimming lessons, art class, lego class, etc...).
My next-door-neighbor has offered to take care of mowing my lawn this summer.
My sister, has agreed to be my "point person", in charge of keeping family & friends informed about how I am doing.
I have been barraged with telephone calls, and texts. Thank you! It' is so nice to know that I am well-loved!
But it's also been overwhelming.
That being said... Everyone that's contacted me has offered to help. Everyone. It is amazing.
I have been having to turn down offers for people to bring me dinner, left and right! I feel so bad doing it. I know people want to help.
One of the (many) reasons that Nick is such an amazing husband, is that he cooks. On a regular basis. I am sure that I will need meals, in the future. But right now, Nick has that aspect of our life under control.
I am putting together a list, so that I can give people concrete direction, of needs that I have. Think: pulling a few weeds in my flower bed, getting my garbage to the curb on trash-day-Tuesday.
On the weeks that Nick works nights, I KNOW I am going to need help in the evenings. Getting my kids in PJ's, and getting them to bed.
Child care is going to be my biggest need, bar none.
I will never turn away a play-date invitation for my kids. Please, please! Even if it is last-minute, don't hesitate to ask if you can take my kids out to do something. They (and I will be grateful) for even a 10 minute trip to the park.
I know that Reagan's "special needs" are intimidating.
That has been the one aspect of this, that makes me cry, every time I think about it.
I am praying that this new medication, we have her on, will be the answer! But, generally speaking; Reagan really only misbehaves for Nick and me.
She loves meeting new people. And she is, innately, such a loving, little girl. Giving her short, to-the-point directions, is a very effective way to communicate with her.
Don't expect her to engage with other kids (if she does, it's a bonus!). But do expect her to be tickled-pink to be included in any invitation to get out of the house.
Now, if I could just hire someone to potty-train Cohen??? Just the thought of changing poopy diapers, while I'm doing chemo makes me sick!
Any takers???
Yeah. Didn't think so. LOL
7 comments:
Eh, forget the wigs! You can rock the bald head and scarves for a little while, and your hair will start growing back before you know it.
God I wish I were closer. Wanna throw the kids on a plane to come visit Aunty in New Zealand?!
And agree with Jill! Rock the scarves, I've already been looking for some for you too. And such a lovely idea to donate your gorgeous hair.
Really, really wish I could be there to help but you know where to find me for moral support, a chat, a laugh, a cry! Love you
Don't buy a wig; I did and wore it once. It wasn't a cheap one, but I hated the scratchy feel and it just didn't feel right. Wanna try a blond one? I'll send it to you. Soft cotton or silk scarves wrapped like a turban felt much better.
I will always remember the summer of 2005 as the one of the "No hair McNairs", since Gumpy was bald, too. Well, he still is, I'm not. Look at it from the bright side - no having to shave your legs....yeah!!
Big hugs from South Carolina!
Thanks for sharing all this. I saw Nicks link on Facebook. I am inspired by your strength and weakness, and that you are taking this so level headed and ready to do what you need to. I also loved how well the CHI tends to needs, family, explanations, and care of everyone effected by the cancer. Your family will be in my prayers. My mom has breast cancer, but is tending to it very differently, so I can't imagine how difficult your steps will be. I wish I could help too.
What??!! I can't believe that I just got around to reading this news. Crappy, crappy news. Oh, my dear old friends how my heart aches for both of you. You are both strong, smart, stubborn and determined and I know you can take this and do the best you can and take it head on. I know I'm a couple of hours away but please put me on the list to help any way I can... Visits, sending things... I don't know... You have my love and support. I'll be thinking about you both each day and sending you my prayers of hope and comfort and strength. ❤️
I am going to potty train Cohen as soon as school is out. Having Reagan doesn't intimidate me in the least! I love that girl. I will gladly take her every day!! I love you!
I'll shave my head with you in solidarity!
Post a Comment