Saturday, August 29, 2015

Let's Celebrate!

Yes!  So much good news the past week, it's almost too good to be true!
 
First of all, who can resist the charms of this little brown-eyed, blond-haired boy?!  Not me!
Since the new chemo drug is more tolerable, I buckled-down and got this kid potty trained.  Finally.  And completely.  Kind of.
We're still working on being able to independently take himself to the bathroom.  He struggles with pulling his own pants up.  But I am just reveling in the fact that I no longer have to change diapers.  The thought of him going to pre-school still in diapers was giving me monster anxiety.  So, this development has been a relief.
I still worry about his poor linguistic skills, and his short attention span.  But if anyone can get him on the right track it's SAINT Miss Jolynne, the preschool teacher!

Beyond that, chemo is still chemo.  It sucks.
The taxol drug isn't as bad to take, but it still has it's yucky side effects.  Nick coined the phrase "butt urine" while he was on his LDS mission in Ecuador (I'll let you guess why?), but it perfectly describes the state of my bowels while on taxol.

The steroids are still making me puffy.
And my feet hurt.  A lot.

But I've been able to get out a bit more.  Nick and I finally made it out on a date!  We went for sushi, and it was great!
 My cousin Mike, and his wife, Sophia, made a trip to Fillings and Emulsions, and then went completely out of their way to deliver me a blueberry lime scone!

Also, I want to give a huge SHOUT OUT to MOMS CLUB OF TAMPA WESTCHASE!  Someone (that I highly suspect has a name that starts with Kath, and ends with -erine) nominated me to receive the monthly donation they endow.  I was the August 2015 recipient!  I was so touched when I opened the envelope that housed the letter and a check.  It was a total surprise.  Again, and again; I am being hit with kindnesses coming at me from all directions.


Beyond that...
I met with the General surgeon, and the Plastic surgeon.
The general surgeon said I'm not even a candidate for a lumpectomy, because the malignant calcifications in my right breast were so widespread.  She also recommended that we take the left breast too. I was totally prepared for this news.  It didn't phase me.  Sayonara sisters!
I need to get my genetic test results back, before a decision is made about a hysterectomy.

The plastic surgeon said that I have enough tummy tissue to make me two "B-cups".  I'm cool with B-cups.  I still have plenty of time to decide between DIEP reconstructive surgery, and implants.  I won't be able to have the reconstruction surgery until June.
My double-mastectomy surgery is tentatively scheduled for Dec. 4th.

Let's see...  My lovely neighbor, Bev took me to round 6 of chemo.  The awful "betrayer " took me to round 7.  And made me realize that I will only be asking family and friends that are like family, to take me to chemo from now on!
And Jill took me to marathon round 8!  She spoiled me by bringing baked goods for us to snack on while I sat in the infusion chair.

For the taxol chemo, I only meet with my oncologist every 3rd week.  So, round 8 was an appointment with Dr. Buys.  She measured my tumor, AND (WAIT FOR IT!)- the tumor has gone from 11cm by 9cm; to 5cm by 2 cm!!!!!
Also, my lymph nodes aren't inflamed anymore.  At all.  Dr. Buys couldn't find a single one!  That means that there's a good chance my lymph nodes are cancer free.  They're still going to be removed when I have surgery.  But it just goes to show that the chemo is working!

On the flip side... I developed a very painful UTI.  However, they put me on antibiotics, so hopefully that clears up relatively quickly.

I'm close to being halfway through with chemo, and I've been able to maintain the four goals I set for myself.  Sort of.
I've kept up on the budget/bills, grocery shopping, and laundry.
I wanted to be able to maintain the ability to run a 5k throughout chemo, but that has been easier said than done.

My gorgeous friend Rebecca, recruited me to run a 5k with her a few weeks ago.  It was a fundraiser for the local high school cross-country team.
I ran (very slowly) for the first two miles.  And then I had to walk.  Rebecca stuck with me, but I know she could have easily finished the race ten minutes faster than me.
I feel like I've been demoted from "runner status".  This morning I ran a mile in just over ten minutes.   And then I had to walk.  I've been doing mostly walks, in the morning, for exercise.  It's kind of funny, because I've been walking three miles, faster than I can run them!
But I'm not too down on myself about it.  More like, wistful for days gone by.

And really, who can complain?  With this much fortune smiling on me, I'm a happy girl.

3 comments:

Jacki said...

Woo hoo!! I LOVED reading this post. I'm so glad things are taking a turn for the better. And, seriously. You are so stinkin' positive! You blow me away. Love you woman!

Kristin said...

:-) :-) :-)

Dave and Catherine said...

So much to celebrate! I'm with you 200% about losing "runner status." It's so hard when such a big part of your identity is tied to something you can't do as well or as much anymore. And I don't even have a legit excuse. Keep moving and keep fighting! You're a rockstar!