Saturday, May 15, 2010

Impact

Oh, third trimester. How could I forget that you are so awful? In Jenny McCarthy's book Belly Laughs she says something along the lines of: "during the third trimester you feel like you just finished running a marathon, haven't slept in a week, and were just hit by a mac truck- all at the same time".
Yep. That pretty much sums it up.
When I was pregnant with Reagan I had the LUXURY of being able to come home from work and to collapse on the couch for the rest of the night. A lot of the time I would go to bed at 6PM.

Last night, Nick afforded me that perk again. I really did "hit the hay" at 6PM. But I don't expect it to be a common occurence like it was the first time around.

For me, the bottom line remains the same. Pregnancy has no redeeming qualities.

I am grateful for the fact that I have a husband who makes me laugh. He adds levity to my marriage, and to this pregnancy.

To illustrate my point... The following conversation occurred last night (as I was off to bed at 6PM):

Me (laying on the couch, whining about how tired I was): "Nick, will you come help me get up so that I can go to bed"?

Nick: "OK" (walks over and obliges me).

Me (feeling like I need to justify my actions): "Nick, it is SOOOO hard to be preggo. Sometimes I think you forget that I am pregnant".

Nick (feinging shock and surprise, looks at my stomach): "Honey, your stomach is so big! Have you been letting yourself go?!".

Me (laughing) "You just don't understand what it's like. I feel like I have to use the bathroom- ALL OF THE TIME, among MANY other discomforts".

Nick: "You do a pretty good job of keeping me clued in about EVERY SINGLE ache and pain associated with pregnancy".

Me: "I'm leaving. Quit making me laugh, I might pee my pants".

Nick (after I had left the room): "Honey, come back. You left a puddle on the floor".

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I know that there are people who say they love being pregnant, but i'm with you. If there were any other way to get a baby here I would do it. I probably shouldn't share this on here but I was throwing up the other day and by the time I was done I did have to clean up the floor as well. I hope that makes you feel a little bit better.

Bellamy Family said...

don't you hate those people that are like "I feel better pregnant than when I'm not" what's up with that?? I keep telling myself that this pregnancy hasnt been nearly as bad as the others, which is true, but it's still pregnancy. Nick is a lot like spencer and it really does help to have someone there to make you laugh and give you a break when you need one.

Anonymous said...

I know I am not married and haven't experienced pregnancy, but I will tell you what, I am not looking forward to being pregnant someday. I don't get what is so wonderful about being pregnant like some people make it out to be. You go through tons of hormonal attitudes, you feel miserable, and then you go through labor. I would much rather go through periods. In the end though, it's worth it because you get to be a mom.

Kari said...

LOL...aren't husbands the greatest? I'm pretty sure G and I have had that exact same conversation.

Kirsten said...

Brooke--Thanks for commenting on my blog (forever ago-sorry!) It's fun to see your blog and to see pictures of your cute, big girl. What happened to the baby? haha. Anyway, I'll have to check your blog more often because it totally made me laugh! You are hilarious!!! I agree that there is nothing good about being pregnant! Personally, I wish a stork could drop the baby on the doorstep instead. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes by quickly!