Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Trip to the Dentist

Nick and I had appointments for Dental Checkups. I decided to bring Reagan with us, in hopes that this appointment would be a better experience for her than the last time.

Just after Reagan turned one I took her to a Pediatric Dentist, and it was awful. The dental office was tiny (so there was no space for a formal recovery room). This meant that the kids who were recovering from the gas/drugs had to do it in the main lobby area. Reagan was terrified of them, and I must say that I found them to be disturbing too. While we were waiting there were four kids in the waiting area recovering and they all acted like they were drunk/on drugs/ possessed.

The appointment went from bad to worse when the Dentist tried to look in Reagan's mouth. She screamed bloody murder. The dentist recommended that I have Reagan come back in for a frenectomy (a procedure where they cut the gums). I was skeptical, and so was my sister; Heather- who has worked in a dental/orthodontia office for a decade. As soon as I got home I called that dental office and cancelled Reagan's future appointments.

Needless to say, at that appointment I didn't get any pictures of Reagan's first trip to the dentist. AND I learned that it isn't the best idea to take your kids to dentist's that advertise in mailers. Just another incident of a Mommy being slow on the uptake.

So.... our trip to my "tried and true" dentist was much better.


Reagan played patiently (although, none too quietly) at the block table in the waiting room.
They let her come back to watch me having my teeth cleaned. She thought the TV's in the ceiling were pretty neat. And she even let the dentist look in her mouth without too much of a tantrum. When I asked if I could take her picture while she sat in the Dental Chair she told me "No". I didn't want to push it, so we settled for a picture with her and Nick and her prize.
My wonderful Dentist could not stop shaking his head about the fact that the other dentist Reagan had visited suggested a Frenectemy. I am so glad I opted not to put Reagan through it. My dentist said that Reagan is too young to even consider performing that procedure on, and that by the time she is 9 or 10 (an acceptable age to do the surgery) the problem will very well have resolved itself.
After the appointment we went across the street from the dental office to Sugarhouse park. Normally, in May I bet the place would have been packed with children. But in our freaky-weather May, this year, the park was deserted. We didn't stay too long because it was so cold.
We finished up the day by eating at Firehouse Pizzeria. Where, Reagan, once again proved that she is her father's child- by showing a preference to his meat pizza over her own Peanut Butter and Honey pizza (she also loves Chili as much as Nick does, and likes food with "heat" as well. The other day Nick was eating hot wings and she took one from him, and sucked all of the hot sauce off). I finished Reagan's PB & Honey pizza and deemed it my new favorite.
Stay tuned.... to find out the location of the last minute vacation we are leaving for TOMORROW!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Loathe the dentist, I completely relate to Reagan! So excited to hear about this mystery last minute trip...those are the absolute best!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the not so good dentist. At least you won't be going there anymore. I went to an orthodontist that wasn't that great. Luckily the doctor eventually retired and a new guy started in his place, who was much better. My brother got to have invisiline and I was jealous. I would have much rather had that then braces.

Can't wait to findout where you guys are going on your trip. That should be alot of fun. I think it would be cool if you came up here to Seattle Washington, but who knows if that will ever happen.

Heather said...

I don't know how 'cool' of a place you will be going, but I do know that is should be pretty 'cool' down there. haha

Bellamy Family said...

With apologies to honest dentists that may read this....

It is my opinion that dentists are the car mechanics for teeth. They have very little incentive to be upfront and honest with you about your teeth and everything to gain from getting you to buy into "additional repairs".

And now that the economy is bad people are going to the dentist less and it's causing some financial strain for them and they respond similarly to car mechanics.

Jonathan & Heather said...

Glad things went better this time. I took Shawn to a pediatric dentist who said he had 2 cavities on his brand new teeth and wanted to sedate him to fix it. I didn't feel good about that so I took him to our dentist who is a family friend. He told me that Shawn didn't even have the beginnings of a cavity on those teeth. So frustrating!