Tuesday, May 25, 2010

You Don't Know What You've Got Til' It's Gone.

I know that when my posts are long and tedious they don't get read as much. But, as I have said before; Blogging is a cheap and effective therapy. Sometimes what I write is more for myself than the people who read.
I'm saying that as a precursor of what is to come.
This may end up being one of those long-winded blog posts.

To start off.... I will soon be the recipient of a new piano AND our next family vacation will be to New York City.


But the details behind both of these pieces of news have constantly had me in TEARS lately. I will probably bawl my eyes out while I type this entire post.

You see, my parents announced that they are moving to NYC. They leave in ONE WEEK!


I have been trying to put on a brave face about it (and have been failing miserably). It has me devastated.

Not that I don't understand their decision, because I do. My blubbering probably has more to do with crazy pregnancy hormones and the impending arrival of the baby than anything else.

I know, a while back I mentioned that my Dad was commuting weekly to NYC to work for Morgan Stanley Bank. Well, this commute has been going on for a year now. I don't know how he does it? A cross-country commute on a regular basis would kill me.

Morgan Stanley Bank has been begging my Dad to come work for them full-time, and that is what is finally happening.

Nick and I have been in our house for almost a year now. Our house is 2 minutes away from my parents'. So, for the past year I have had everything I ever really wanted, and I wasn't smart enough to appreciate it. It has been nice to have a change of scenery 2 mintues away. A place where I could show up in my pajamas and no one would even bat an eye. A clean place I could go to when my own house was dirty (and I didn't have the energy to clean). My Mom's house is always clean and comfortable.

My Mom may drive me crazy sometimes, but she has been indispensible to me. There is a big difference between being a phone call away, and physically 2 minutes away. It is going to be a big adjustment.
Reagan practically bursts with happiness every time she sees my parents. On Mother's Day it nearly broke my heart to see Reagan run to my Mom and throw her arms around her, because I realized this won't be a regular occurence anymore.

My Dad is Reagan's favorite playmate. Reagan knows that my Dad will sneak cookies for her, will put Mickey Mouse on the TV for her, and will play with her outside whenever she wants.

I try not to think about it, but it ususally ends up being the only thing I do think about. I am saddened by all that I will be missing. My Mom won't be living near me when my new little baby arrives!

Granted, she didn't live in Seattle when Reagan arrived; and I survived. But this is somehow different. For our family, where my parents live is "home". I feel a little uprooted by the fact that they will be moving 2300 miles away. I guess just didn't realize how much I relied on them.

I probably ought to be saying: "Yay, this means I will get to visit exciting NYC on a regular basis!". But the reality of the situation is: NYC is a 5+ hour plane trip away, and I am going to have to be making that trip with two kids. Ugh.

I would feel so much differently, if this were an extended family member moving to New York. It has just hit me so hard because it is my PARENTS.

I was totally stoked for my Cousin; David, and his wife and daughter when they announced that they are moving to Brooklynn at the end of the summer. Now, I am like: "those jerks! They will get to see my parents more than I do". OK, total sarcasm there. Dave and Kat, you know I think really highly of you.

As for the piano (that I mentioned ALL THE WAY BACK at the begining of the post). My parents are seriously downsizing. Going from a beautiful 4000 Sq. Foot home to a two-bedroom apartment in Manhattan (most likely). They are literally "cleaning house" and getting rid of a lot. They don't think a piano will fit in their new place, so they are giving it to me.

If I could have picked out my ideal piano, their would have been my second choice (a baby grand, being my first). The Piano is gorgeous! And it is only 2 years old (maybe less?). All I had wanted for my birthday was a piano. My piano budget was limited, so I have been keeping my eye on KSL classifieds trying to find something that would work, but as of yet; haven't found anything I was in love with.

And while I ought to be happy and grateful for this gift... My honest feelings are that: I would much rather have my parents still living 2 minutes away, than have a stunning piano in my living room. I would gladly go back to scouring the online ads for used piano's, if it meant that my parents got to stay.

The past little while I have thought about ways to sabotage their move, but I know that it might only prolong the inevitable. There is no possible way that they can stay. And, maybe the sooner they move there, the sooner the time will come for them to move back! :)

Part of my heart is going to "The Big Apple". I hope it returns (permanently) to me, soon.

4 comments:

Get Hooked said...

Oh Brooke, I am so sorry. Many of the feelings you expressed, I remember feeling when my mom and dad went on their mission. (and I knew they were only going for 2 years.) I'm so so so sorry. Sad day, sad sad sad day!

Korie Bellamy Photography said...

Brooke ... that totally sucks!! well, lets just think of it this way ... your Dad has to retire sometime in the next 10 years so hopefully they'll move back sooner than later, but that is really CRAPPY!!

Dave and Catherine said...

We'll take good care of your parents, promise. ;-) We're just excited that it means we'll get to see you guys more!

Janetta said...

I can't imagine having to go through that! Hope you get to enjoy them day and night until they leave!!