So, Reagan has been watching the Disney movie, Cinderella a lot lately. One of the days earlier this week she ran at Nick hissing, and with her claws (hands) barred. She told Nick, "I'm Lucifer!".
Of course, she meant she was pretending to be the cat from the movie. But Nick had a little talk with her about how it probably wasn't good to pretend to be that particular character. Both Nick and I were looking to the future, and both of us could ultimately see Reagan pretending to be Lucifer in her class at church, or something equally embarassing.
Shortly after this occurence, Reagan was watching my nephew, Lance, play the Wii. He was playing a Star Wars game. When we got home that night I heard Reagan come stomping down the hall singing: "duhn, duhn, duhn... duhn, duhn, duhn... duhn, duhn duhn". Darth Vader's theme song.
What more can I say?
To say that I am NOT a whiz in the kitchen is an understatement, as those of you that know me well would all agree. I'm getting better, but let's just say that I won't be posting any of my own terrific idea recipes on Pintrest any time soon. That is, if I ever get an invitation to ever come through...
Anyway, I had to laugh at myself this afternoon. I was making a meatloaf recipe that told you to put cubes of cheddar cheese in the middle. I had to thaw the ground hamburger in the microwave because it was frozen. It worked just fine. So, I thought it'd probably work on my frozen hunk of cheese too. Wrong. Cheese does not defrost well.
Rookie mistake, I guess. But I don't think I'll ever progress past the Rookie stage. It's a good thing Nick can cook. Otherwise, we'd never have a decent meal.
Finally, something that isn't really funny... But that I wanted to remember.
I'm not one of those people that live with no regrets.
In fact, I probably have more regrets about things I have done in my past than the normal person.
So, when Reagan was only a few weeks old my Mom and I took her to visit Nick at the University of Washington hospital, where he was working. I wanted to show her off to his coworkers.
As we stepped in to an elevator, a young man who was obviously a "special needs" individual made his way toward us from the back of the elevator. I realized that he wanted to look at/touch Reagan, and I FREAKED out! I pulled her baby carrier away from him and shouted, "No!".
I could tell that my actions left him completely crestfallen.
When we got out of the elevator my Mom made the comment that this gentleman's face had lit up when he first saw Reagan. After all, who doesn't love new babies?
Here it is 3+ years later and this incident still haunts me. I wish I would have reacted differently that day. He meant no harm. I should have let him look at my baby.
I may have had a chance at redemption today. As I was walking around with Cohen at church a young woman that I don't know approached me. It became apparent to me that she also had special needs. She asked if she could look at my baby.
This time I said, "of course", and I put Cohen in a better position for her to see.
She walked right over to Cohen and kissed him on the mouth. It shocked me for a second; and it took a lot of willpower not to yank him away. But I didn't.
You should have seen the elation this girl experienced. She started proclaining (loudly) that everyone needed to come meet this cute baby.
It almost made me blush. The way this girl was talking, it was like I was holding the cutest baby on the planet. Maybe to her, I was. :)
I wiped Cohen's little mouth with a wetwipe (he's had his immunizations, but you can't be too careful, right?) and smiled inside and out. No regrets this time.
1 comment:
You're so stinkin' cute. I love that you let her kiss your newborn baby. I would have had the same reaction as you!
And Holden sings the Darth Vader song every. single. day. We have heard it in cow, pig, dog, etc. It's maddening! But no Lucifer yet. LOL!
Post a Comment