Health Update: Less than a week after I went to the doctor the first time for the flu, I was back in her office because I had an ear infection (seriously?! Adults get ear infections?!). Some of you may remember that I got pregnancy-induced hypothyroidism. I was hoping that it was gone by now, since I am 4 months postpartum. So, I had the doctor check my thyroid levels while I was in the office. I got a call today, and the nurse said that my thyroid has gotten worse, NOT BETTER! They are upping my prescription. Oh, the things us mothers go through. Sigh.
Moving on....
First, let me say that I NEVER lose things. I am usually so organized it is almost a joke. Nick is constantly asking me why I hide his stuff, when all I actually do is put it away.
So, the sinking feeling I experienced when I lost my wedding ring was probably double what a normal person's would be.
I was at Heather's house for dinner and Reagan wanted a bath. I specifically remember putting my watch and my ring in Reagan's empty boot, and then putting the boot in my diaper bag. My stone is a little loose in it's setting so I have been trying to be really careful about what I subject my ring to these days. The jeweler that Nick bought my ring from seems to have gone out of business, literally, overnight. So, I can't go get it fixed for free anymore.
This situation alone, has left me at a total loss lately.
Anyway.....
The roads had been pretty icky from the snowfall, and Nick had driven my car (yet again) to work so that he'd have 4-wheel drive in case road conditions became worse.
Brian, my little brother, was kind enough to come pick us up in his Subaru; and he transported me and the girls to and from Heather's house that night.
We got home, and I put the girls to bed and then proceeded to put things away. My diaper bag had tipped over on the living room floor, and when I was setting it upright I remembered my jewelry.
I pulled my watch out of the little boot, but when I put my hand in the boot a second time I found that the boot was empty.
I searched the other boot.
I tore my diaper bag apart.
I looked everywhere in my house.
No diamond ring.
I texted my brother to see if he'd look in his car for the ring. Maybe it had fallen out on the drive home?
At that point I couldn't think of anything else that could be done.
I went to bed. But I didn't sleep.
I know it was completely irrational but all I could think about were the awful things that could have befallen my ring.
I pictured my ring falling out on the walkway in front of Heather's house, and imagined that it was in her rose bushes, and if I was lucky I might find it after things thawed in the spring.
As I was dozing off I wondered if it had fallen out in our garage, when I exited Brian's car??? I was almost certain that if this were the case, Brian had probably run over it with his car. Knowing that the diamond was already loose did nothing to help my overactive imagination and I was 100% positive that when I did find the ring it would be ruined.
I was beside myself, the next morning when I woke up. I tried to act nonchalant, so that Nick wouldn't realize how sick about the situation, I was. I casually asked him if he had seen Reagan playing with my ring? He told me, that he had not.
I called my brother, and asked if he had found the ring. No dice.
I left a message on Heather's phone, asking her to check for my ring.
It must have been a Christmas miracle, because Heather called me back an hour later and said she had found the ring in her couch cusions.
Talk about relief!
My ring means more to me today, than it did on the day Nick used it to propse to me. I still think it is gorgeous (Nick picked it out himself), but there is now the sentimental value too. This Ring reminds me of the vows Nick and I took on our wedding day. When I look at it I remember that we agreed to stick together through the good (there's been a LOT of that :) and the bad.
I am fairly certain Nick feels the same way. I am less-than perfect; and Nick manages to look past all of that. This year, in particular, has seen a lot of joy in our marriage (Hooray for Elsa, the easiest baby ever!), but things haven't been all roses. I am eternally grateful that Nick overlooks my flaws (especially my most recent ones) and acts like he wants to stayed married to me forever.
OK. Not the turn I expected this post to take.
Back on track: I lost my ring, but thankfully, I found it.
1 comment:
I am so happy that you found your ring. How horrible it would have been if you had lost it. I'm sure you were blessed by Heavenly Father.
Post a Comment