The old adage "An ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure" should actually say "... is worth a pound of baloney".
I had my flu shot in October, along with Nick and Reagan. I thought I was protected. Wrong.
Last Thursday I felt fine in the morning. I got up, got showered, dressed, and hair done. And out of nowhere I felt like I was hit by a semi-truck. I felt worse than I ever have in my entire life.
I put a mask on (Reagan hated this), and tried to "power through" the day, without breathing on the girls, because I didn't want to pass on this awful plague.
Of course, this turned out to be the day that Nick was working a double shift. Knowing there wasn't going to be any respite in dealing with the kids by myself, I called Nick's Mom and she graciously came to help.
By the next morning I knew something was very wrong. Every inch of my body hurt.
My sister came and took the girls, because Nick had to go to work for at least six hours.
I called the doctor, and had to wait until 11 AM to get in to see her.
After a few tests, including the one where they stick a swab up your nose until it reaches your brain.... It was determined that:
#1. I had a fever of 103 (I took my temperature at home, with the kid's forehead thermometer and it said I was normal. Now I'm wondering if I ought to trust this device???),
#2. I had Influenza. Even after the flu shot? Even after the flu shot! And apparently, I am not the only one! Others who have been immunized have had confirmed cases of the flu too. Nick had a long talk with me about how the CDC needs to pick the strains of flu they "think" will hit during flu season 6 months before flu season even starts. Blah, Blah, Blah. I had my flu shot. This is not fair.
#3. I was severely dehydrated. My doctor wanted me to go to the hospital for an IV. But I begged and pleaded and told her I really would prefer death over an IV. I promised to go home and drink a lot. And I did.
I have been quarantined in the guest bedroom for the past 4 days. There is no internet connectivity in that room. Which sucks. But I have gotten by doing a lot of sleeping. I also found time to watch: Moulin Rouge, Charade, & MJ's This Is It.
Nick has been a very good husband. He "lysoled the crap" (his words, not mine) out of the upstairs living space. And it looks like he and the girls have escaped the Influenza curse. That is a relief.
I still feel yucky. But am hoping to make a full recovery soon. I felt like my "to do" list was drowning me, prior to being sidelined for a few days. I can't imagine what a more extreme feeling of overwhelmed will feel like, but I am probably about to find out. Good thing Nick has a few days off next week!
Lastly, I'm still a promoter of flu shots. But it helps to limit your time in public and do a lot of hand-washing too. I think the latter, is the only reason I didn't pass this crud on to anyone else.
4 comments:
Yuck! Sorry.
I am so sorry you have the flu. That is no fun at all. I hope you get better soon.
I hope you're feeling better. Thanks for the invite to the blog. Your family is beautiful. And I'm glad you've gotten back to Seattle. Josh and I feel the same as you and Nick. Beautiful place and great memories.
Merry Christmas! - and good luck getting everything done!
I'm so sorry, especially with having two little ones and a husband who has to work a double shift. I hope you're feeling better now, or at least less zombie-esque.
Post a Comment