Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

I always seem to have these "bright ideas" that make me feel like such an idiot in the end. Case in point; last year I planned a vacation to San Francisco and we left for that destination the day after Christmas. This year, we went to Seattle and ended up coming back the day before Thanksgiving. Traveling around the holidays, be it; before or after- is NOT a good idea.
Note to self: STOP THE INSANITY! Don't do this to yourself again!
So, I think that these pictures of Reagan playing in the snow, for the first time this year, were taken on Thanksgiving day? We'll just say they were since I am far from positive about the exact day they were snapped.

Since our flight out of Seattle got us home 5 hours later than we had planned, I was left with even less time to do Thanksgiving prep (ie- shopping, cleaning, etc...).
I went to the grocery store when I got home, and it was pure chaos! I got one of the last two fresh turkeys in the store.
Nick and I both stayed up late trying to get the food ready beforehand, so that we wouldn't have to spend so much time doing things "the day of".
Even with all of that effort the turkey still wasn't done on time. I had said we'd eat at Noon, and the feast didn't actually commence until 1PM.
Grant started serving plastic food from the play kitchen to the people that were hungry.

We were all happy that my parents were able to be with us for the occasion!

Nick cooked the turkey again this year and (not surprisingly) it was phenomenal! He did a bacon-herbed turkey. It was so moist and delicious.
Do you see that little bit of turkey on Reagan's plate? That is the only picture I got of the finished product! I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the beautiful bird!
All three of my pies turned out well, so that was a relief!
Oops. I lied. Here's another picture of a slice of turkey.
Reagan did her best to ruin my attempt at making us "twinners", I coordinated Elsa's clothes too, so I guess that would really make us "triplet-ers", or something? Yes, I put all of us in black shirts and tan pants. I thought it was cute. But Reagan disagreed. She spilled Root Beer all over herself, in protest, and we had to change her clothes.
For a while she was running around in only her diaper. Someone put Reagan up on the counter (not sure who the culprit was???). And then my brother (I know it was him) told Reagan that the sugar I had out on the counter, and was using to make pies; was "yummy". You can't tell me that you didn't know what she was going to do after that! Of course, she put some sugar in a measuring cup and took a taste. Nobody stopped her. So, she poured the sugar in to her mouth like it was liquid!
Now, every time I open the pantry door Reagan is asking for sugar. Just wait until the day that Brian has kids! Heather and I will have no end of things to teach them as comeuppance for the things he taught/teaches our children.
Reagan came down off her sugar high, and promptly crashed (it took 3 binky's to do so. And No, I haven't cold-turkeyed the binky's- pun intended, nor have I started full-on potty training).
Her nap on the floor wasn't a long one.
I was hoping she'd sleep in the car on the way to my Aunt Vickie's house. Didn't happen.
This means that we had a child that went without a nap, and had consumed WAAAAY too much sugar, LITERALLY.
Ladies and Gentlemen, Meet: Grumpy Gus. No Nap + too many sweets ='s Reagan giving us more than her usual "run for our money" that night.
Elsa got to meet my Grandpa Chellson for the first time that night, so the trip to Springville wasn't a total bust.
If you're thinking that this story isn't going to have a happy ending, you're very nearly right. Reagan cried the ENTIRE drive home from Springville. I swear, I developed a nervous twitch over the incident. And then I came home to a messy house (that I had spent hours getting in pristine condition, only the day before), and more than a sinkful of dishes- the "kick in the pants" was that we had used paper and plastic utensils at Thanksgiving lunch in order to avoid having a mountain of dishes!
I am still trying to get things back in order, because in addition to the clean-up from Thanksgiving, I also had yet to unpack from our vacation.
Maybe, by Christmas my house will be in in a better state?
Oh, we went swimming at my parent's hotel the next day. So, in Reagan's book, things turned out A-O-K, in the end.
Happy Thanksgiving. I am grateful that I am able to look back on things and laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Thanksgiving wasn't a total bummer. It's always nice when you get to spend some good quality time with your family.

Is the blond haired girl your sister? If so she looks alot like you.