Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Tornado!... According to Reagan, Anyway.

Two weeks ago we had a severe wind storm. We've experienced our area's infamous "East Wind" before, but nothing compares to what we went through recently.

There was no power at our house for 24 hours, and we were one of the lucky ones! Some people didn't have power for over 4 days.
The news said the wind gusts reached speeds of 125MPH! All I know is that I heard the wind start around 3AM, and it didn't stop blowing until 3PM.

The kids and I spent most of the day in the two bedrooms upstairs in the front of my house. The windows in those bedrooms were big enough to let in a lot of sunlight, and the rooms stayed relatively warm. We read a lot of books that day.

It was depressing and scary to see all of the damage the wind was doing, as the action unfolded. Every time I looked out the window I would see more damage to our house, and our neighbor's houses.
The only comical point in the day was when Reagan and I were looking out the window and saw the port-a-potty that was across the street from our house, where construction is going on, tip over; and roll away.

In the end...

The soffit's on our house were missing in several places.


Reagan's new swingset was smashed to smithereens.

Our roof was toast.
Our backyard fence was destroyed.
Two of the mature trees in our front yard were downed. And our Aspen tree in the backyard may have to come down too.
Rain gutters. What rain gutters? They were missing.


Reagan had a good time playing in the leaves that had accumulated in our stairwell.

Our insurance company had to hire adjusters from other states to come work. And it still took the adjuster assigned to our claim 2 weeks to make it to our house.

Reagan has been upset that we don't have any Christmas lights on our house. Nick keeps explaining to her that we can't put Christmas lights up until our roof gets fixed.
At this rate, it appears that Christmas lights will just have to wait until next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a scary windstorm. I'm sorry that your house had some damage, but thankful that you guys are ok. I hope that it won't cost much money to fix repairs.

I do not like severe windstorms especially at night. Makes you worry about what's going to happen to everything around you.