Monday, June 4, 2012

Nick's Birthday, Etc...

There are days.  Let me tell you, there are days.  Days, when I don't shower until 2PM.  Days when I clean up the same mess 40 million times.  Days when I feel run ragged, and yet it doesn't appear that I've got anything done.
Days when having three really young children is just plain hard.

But then I have the good days too.  The days when they all cooperate, play nicely with each other, take good naps, and we all have fun.

I'm still not sold on having kids so close in age.  Specifically, the mere 15 months that separate Elsa and Cohen.
But sometimes I catch glimpses.  And I think that things may turn out better than I anticipated.

A few days ago, in a hurry to get somewhere, I was getting everyone ready (including myself); and Cohen started fussing to be fed.
The kids were all on my bed watching a DVD.
I asked Reagan to feed Cohen while I did my hair.

This is what I got.
She was WAY more in to watching the movie, than performing the task at hand.
And literally, two seconds after I snapped this picture, Reagan put the bottle down and went back to watching her show.

Elsa is a very observant little girl.  As you can see in the picture, above, she was watching what Reagan was doing, and ignoring the video.

I observed the little observer.  And I was so happy when she did this.  All on her own:
Yes.  I do think these two are going to be good friends.
Notice the binky's in the pictures above.  Around our house, they may be pink, or blue in color; but they are pretty much communal property.
And for the record, Cohen is sitting up on his own.  And he has two teeth (he's the latest teether of my 3 children).  He is also still waking up to eat twice a night.  I'm tired.  But during the day he has such a happy demeanor.  I almost forget about the sleep deprivation he's causing me.  "Almost" being the operative word in the prior sentence.

In other recent events...
I was in charge of Reagan's end-of-year preschool party.
I planned an outing at the park. 
It was cold.
But at least it wasn't rainy.
The kids liked the eating part the best.

And finally!  Nick's birthday.
Nick hates having a fuss made over his birthday.
So, I refrained from doing anything (that he would deem) embarassing, like throwing a surprise party.
But I did try to make it special.

I arranged to have my brother surprise Nick the morning of his birthday, to take him golfing.
I made the tee time, and sent my brother MANY reminders via text message.
The morning OF Nick's birthday my brother called and said he couldn't make it because he had totally spaced a class he had to take that morning for his RT license.
Argh.
My little brother did offer up his cute wife, Jenny, to babysit for me during the golf outing so that I could go with Nick.
It's a good thing I golf.
It's a bad thing I haven't been since before Reagan was born.
In the beginning I tried to use the appropriate clubs.  But I've never been good with my driver.  I resorted to using my 7 Iron for nearly every shot.
Surprisingly, I didn't do as poorly as I anticipated.
And Nick had the best game of his life, to date.
In the end, I was happy that my little brother bailed on me.  Nick and I had the best time golfing together.

When we got home, we ate homemade French Dip Sandwiches, that, I had put in the crock pot the night before.
Nick opened his presents.
And then we went to Takashi for a sushi dinner.

Not a bad, or too flashy way to turn 32, right?!

2 comments:

Janetta said...

I didn't realize they were only 15 months apart...they are going to be buds for life!!

And kudos to you for sure for golfing with Nick. Is that an argyle polo you were sporting? You looked perf!

Anonymous said...

I love the one of Elsa taking over the feeding! :)