Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Truly Great Man

My Mom called me on Saturday morning as I was getting ready to go to a baby shower.

She told me that my Grandpa (her Dad) had passed away in his sleep early that morning.

I cried while I showered.
I pulled it together enough to make it to the baby shower.  But I did excuse myself from the events early.

It's one of those bittersweet things.
Grandpa lost his sweetheart, my Grandma, 6 years ago.
He lived alone for 4 years.  And then, he moved in with my Aunt Vickie (my Mom's only sister).

Grandpa Chellson had a bone disease.  He always walked with a limp.  When I was a teenager they found out he had a bad case of bone cancer in his good leg.  So, they had to amputate.
After that he was confined to his scooter.

I know that the first thing most people noticed about my Grandpa was that he was an amputee.  But those who knew him and loved him didn't even think about it.
To me, Grandpa was a cheerful, funny, man.

No one told him that it was the 6th anniversary of my Grandma's death on April 24th.  But I think I he knew.  It was at that time that Grandpa started to "check-out" of life.  He didn't want to get out of his bed.  And he didn't want to eat or drink.
I saw him on April 21st, and we had a good visit.
I held his hand the entire time we talked.
He told me a story about how when he and my Grandma were first married, she had just returned from a hunting trip; and was cleaning the rifle.  Grandpa hadn't been hunting with her. He didn't hunt.  If you knew my grandparents this whole scenario would make perfect sense.
Grandma was an spirited lady, and avid outdoorswoman.  Grandpa was an easy-going guy, that was an accountant by profession; and loved to read books.
Anyway, the rifle accidentally discharged.  No one was hurt, but the bullet went through several walls in their house, and also through several walls in the neighbors house.
My Grandpa said that the cops showed up, and based on the trajectory of the bullet; figured out where it came from.
But after my Grandma explained everything to the police the case was closed.
Grandpa made Grandma get rid of the gun after that, though.

I liked that story.
I was glad that my final memory of time with my Grandpa got to be a good one.

As I said, three days later Grandpa started failing fast.
My Mom came out and stayed with him for several days in May, and he rallied a bit.

But as soon as she left he went downhill.

My Mom was the epitome of a "Daddy's Girl".
She loved her father very much.
I can't imagine how hard this is for her.
She and my Dad flew back to UT the day my Grandpa died.

My Dad is speaking at the funeral.  My Mom would actually be the natural choice for this task, but she doesn't think she could do it without turning in to a huge bawling mess.  And that is understandable.
I will be playing a composition of How Great Thou Art.  I hope that I can maintain composure, and play beautifully.  Because I Really want to do something to honor the memory of my wonderful Grandpa.

I know that Grandpa has been reunited with Grandma; and that knowledge makes his death a little less sad.

Since the day this blog was started I've wanted to do a post dedicated entirely to my Grandma Chellson.  Her unexpected death is the hardest loss I've had to deal with, to date.
But I just don't know how to condense all of my feelings for my Grandma in to a blog post.
That woman was amazing!
I am pretty nearly her clone.  The exception being that she was the best cook I've ever met; and I'm one of the worst cooks anyone will ever meet.
My Grandpa's death has renewed my desire to write about it.  I just need to start doing it.

Here are some pictures of me with Grandpa.

Grandpa holding me, on my blessing day.


Me and Grandpa relaxing.


Grandpa hated to shop.  Hated it.  Refused to do it.
But for my first Christmas he purchased a Doggone Dog
toy for me.  Mom says he was so happy to finally have a grandchild (I'm the oldest).

Grandpa, Me, and Mom.   Southern California?


Dad, Me (and I thought my kids got all of their crazy
 looks from Nick?  Guess not.),
Grandma- holding Heather, Grandpa, at the San Diego Zoo.

Grandpa, Heather, Me.  Christmas 1982

Grandma, Me, Grandpa, and Heather.  I was tired, and I
Remember that skirt was really itchy.  But when you
look at the way Grandma was holding me, and you see
the look on her face...  isn't it obvious that I was her girl?
Grandpa's face is classic, Grandpa.  He was a tease.





















So, tomorrow I will say a fond farewell to my dear Grandpa.  He will be missed, but definitely not forgotten.

OBITUARY:
Vernal E. Chellson 1924 ~ 2012 Vernal Earl Chellson, age 87, peacefully passed away at home June 2, 2012 in Springville, Utah. He was born September 22, 1924 in Eureka, Utah to Earl Fred Lyman Chellson and Annie Matilda Hill. Vernal moved to Santaquin, Utah in 1930. He graduated from Payson High School and attended Henager Business College. He married Betty Ruth Richards in the Salt Lake Temple October 20, 1950. He was an accountant and worked in Salt Lake City and Southern California. Vernal was an active member of the LDS Church and served in various church positions. In 1983-84 Vernal and Betty served an LDS mission in Arkansas. Vernal enjoyed reading, he was good at math, and his family considered him a "human calculator". He was a good natured person with a wonderful sense of humor and always had a smile for everyone even though he had many physical challenges. He was always there for his family and will be missed greatly. Vernal is preceded in death by his loving wife, Betty; and 2 granddaughters. He is survived by children: Gordon (Geri), Vickie (Scott) Warr, Colleen (Kevin) Imlay; 9 grandchildren; 8 great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Wednesday, June 6, 2012, 2:00 p.m. at McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 South Redwood Road where family and friends may visit Tuesday, June 5, 2012, 6-8 p.m. and Wednesday, 1-1:45 p.m. prior to funeral service. Interment, Redwood Memorial Estates.

4 comments:

Jill said...

My grandma has been gone for over a year, and I still have sad moments of missing her. I've been surprised how hard it is to lose someone you love, even when it doesn't really change your day-to-day life that much. Good luck with your piano piece--I'm sure you'll do well.

Anonymous said...

My grandma died 9 years ago in March and I still miss her. She was One of the sweetest, most wonderful people I have ever known. How neat that you get to play a piano piece at the funeral. I'm sure you will do a great job.

Isn't it so wonderful to know that we will get to see our loved ones again? I sure think so. That's why I love this gospel.

Bing Math said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. It sounds like he was a neat man. My grandmas are both gone and I miss them all the time.

Good luck with your piano number. I'm sure your grandpa would be happy to hear it and would tell you it was great.

Janetta said...

What a beautiful tribute, Brooke. I can see that you have inherited the best attributes from both your grandma and your grandpa.