Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and the Downright Ugly!

The good: It only took 10 months and 2 days for us to get our New Home Buyer Credit! And we got our 2009 Tax Return too! I thought, for sure, that there had to be some mistake when I saw the amount we were getting on our Federal Tax Return; but after double-checking and spending a few nights worrying I realized that the government just went seriously overboard on tax credits this year and we were reaping the benefits. The tax return was direct deposited in to our account and we weren't audited, yay!
I know I am totally biased but my kid is BRILLIANT! Reagan can identify more than half of the letters in the alphabet already. She speaks in (short) sentences, and is starting to learn her colors! My only real worry (besides how to get the temper tantrums under control) is the disappearance of several of my Sharpie markers (I am positive Reagan has hidden them somewhere, and they are going to reappear with a vengeance someday) and the appearance of Rocks in the house. Reagan brings rocks inside all of the time, and I find them everywhere!
Other good news: Nick is doing well at his job with Walgreen's. And I cannot RAVE enough about the benefits of checking the Bargain Divas Blog (again, button/link is on the left hand side of my blog) on a daily basis. I feel almost guilty about all of the free stuff and amazing deals I have been snagging!


The Bad: I swear, that since the beginning of December not a day has passed that someone in our house hasn't been sick. Reagan has had the croup- TWICE, two ear infections, and numerous colds (that she and I seem to pass back and forth). All of us took a turn with the throw-up flu. But from what I read on other blogs... we are not the only household to be suffering from continuous sickness. I can only hope that spring is around the corner, and that the cold/flu season is coming to a close.

Also, we had to learn a $45 lesson this week. We were in need of a new laptop, and so we decided to purchase a Dell. When it arrived Nick was so happy to have a computer with speed, but I completely hated the Dell laptop. The ergonomics were terrible. I don't think I am technical retard, but I swear; that computer had me thinking four-letter-words when I was using it "why can't I get this P.O.S. to do what I want?!". Fortunately, my friend Spencer (who has saved us MANY times when it comes to computer problems) did yet another favor for us, and resurrected our dead laptop. We are sending the Dell back (it will cost us $45 in a re-stocking fee); and poor Nick will have to deal with the S-L-O-W laptop that we have for a while longer.


The Ugliest of the Redheaded Stepchildren: I don't tend to use my blog as a soapbox (for the most part, anyway). To vent, yes. But I try to refrain from posting my strong personal opinions. This will be a combo of venting and personal opinion. Some of you already know the "fun times" we have been experiencing for the past 3+ months with Nick's former employer. But for those of you who don't; let me just say that it will be a cold day in Hell before I ever step foot in an Associated Food Stores Grocery again.

Associated Food Stores purchased Albertson's/Savon back in November, and that is where the nightmare began. Communication by the new employer was nil. They cut employee benefits, and the health insurance choices were less than enticing. All of this, I could deal with. I know a lot of people are going through similar situations with their current employers because of the economy. The lack of communication killed me! No one on the AFS side contacted us to let us know that the 3 year employment contract Nick signed with Albertson's would not be honored by AFS.

Were things at their worst when three pay periods went by without us getting a paycheck, and it was during the pay-periods right before Christmas- to boot? Nope. Were things at their worst when it took us numerous phone calls to AFS trying to convince them that Nick had not been an employee for over TEN WEEKS (no one every bothered to initiate or process Nick's resignation paperwork)? Nope. Were things at their worst when they retro-actively cancelled our Health Insurance, but failed to send me the COBRA paperwork (Health Ins. is sort of a necessity at our house, considering that we have a pregnant lady and an Toddler that need to visit the doctor regularly. I think at one point I had over $7500 in doctors bills piling up on my counter!)? Nope. Were things at their worst when I was forced to contact the Federal Government offices in San Francisco, in charge of COBRA and file a complaint, because AFS employees had no desire to answer our phone calls in regard to COBRA, and they were not in compliance with the law (they have 41 days to send COBRA paperwork to you, and it took them nearly 70 days to get us ours!). Nope, still not the worst. Were things at their worst when I finally spoke to the AFS employee in charge of COBRA and she had the audacity to insult my husband (I don't know about you, but it is ten times worse to have people say unflattering things about someone you love, than to say something awful about you.) She was so unprofessional. But, Nope- this wasn't the worst. Although, I had been pushed WAY past my limit.
Were things at their worst when I personally tracked down the phone number for the President of Associated Food Stores and put a call in to him. I unloaded all of my complaints. Too bad he came off as genuinely concerned, but in reality was only paying me "lip-service", and pawned me off on someone else. Yes. That was probably the worst point of this whole ordeal. That, and the fact that the last few paragraphs have only been the abridged version of what happened.
To say that I have NO love for AFS in an understatement.
All of my friends and family that reside outside the state of UT are already doing me a favor, because they won't be shopping at an Associated Food Store (AFS is a UT-based and operated company only).
For my part, as I have already said, I won't be patronizing any AFS establishment EVER again. In my opinion, AFS's are inferior to any other Grocery store in UT (yes, even WalMart. And for me, that is saying ALOT)- and their pharmacies are even more so.
I can't say that I will "cut off" anyone I know that shops at an AFS (the other day my own MOTHER mentioned that she went to Bowman's, and all I could do was cringe), but I would urge people to think twice before they spend their money at an AFS establishment. Also, please don't tell me if you do shop there- it would only get me riled up. Honestly though, who really wants to shop at a place that employs incompetent, rude people? Not me.

And consider yourself "Thanked" by me, if you do chose to pick up your groceries and prescriptions elsewhere :)

2 comments:

Emily said...

We're putting in for our home credit too, although without a normal certificate of occupancy I'm not overly hopeful it will come off without a hitch especially after hearing your craziness!
Kids=germ bank!
Associated foods=jerk butts!

Gerritt and Melissa said...

Glad you finally got the tax credit! It's great huh? You asked about Abby transitioning out of her crib. We started in the fall when we first found out I was pregnant. We took the front off of her crib. It was a rough couple of nights, but eventually Abby stopped rolling out. If your crib doesn't convert, just get an inexpensive toddler bed. We've had her in that for almost six months. I let Abby be really involved with becoming a "big girl." She picked out her bedding, and helped Gerritt put together her twin bed. She was ready and has been sleeping well the past two nights since the transition. It might be harder for Reagan since she is a year younger than Abby. I hope it goes well!