Monday, March 1, 2010

This is dedicated to the one I love.

In the past Nick has given me grief about writing posts focusing on people other than those in our immediate family (ie- my sister, my blogging friends).
So, in recognition of our upcoming five years of marriage I thought I'd write about "our story".
Nick and I first met (??? or at least, became aware of each other) in Mr. Beazer's Algebra class at Brockbank Jr. High School.


At Cyprus High School Nick and I had the same "circle of friends". Of the dances we went to, 90% of the time we were in the same group, although we never went to a dance (or on a date, for that matter) together. Nick was super-brilliant (I think he was one of the 4 people at our high school that passed the AP history test. However, I held my own on the AP English tests- I think Jill was the only one who scored higher than me). Anyway, Nick was smart, but his smarts weren't always directed toward good intentions. Nick was totally mischievous, but because he was so smart he always got away with his pranks. There are too many to list.

Throughout High School Nick always ranked in the "Top Ten People" I had a crush on (yes, Top Ten People lists, or TTP's were real things. Everyone had the list, and if memory serves me correctly: Nick is the one who started this fad?).

Senior year, I distinctly remember that Nick said the following things to me: #1 he would always tell me that I was the "meanest of the nice people." & #2 that "I would be the first person married out of our group of friends".

The 1st prediction may still be true? I'd like to think that Nick has mellowed me a bit. The latter.... Well, he was WAAAAY off. I still laugh when I think about what Nick's reaction would have been at 17, if someone would have told him that he was going to marry me! Nick and I were pretty much the last ones from our group of friends to get married.

FF a few years. Nick went on an LDS mission to Ecuador. I graduated with my bachelor's degree.
Those of us, from High School, that weren't yet married in our early 20's would still get together on the weekends to hang out. I always made sure that Nick was invited. By this point, Nick had every intention of attending Pharmacy School. In my book, Nick was Mr. Perfect.

I distinctly remember talking to one of our girl friends that Nick wanted to date, and thinking she was crazy because she wasn't interested in him. I listed off all of Nick's amazing qualities to her. I had thought it through, and I knew that Nick was a catch. Thank goodness the girl never agreed with me!
I also recall one evening when I was on the phone with Jill, and I told her that I would do anything to date Nick Scheurer. This incident happened a year before Nick and I ever even started dating.

Also, there was the time that I had a boyfriend. My friend Charise and I were going to go see a movie- of course I called Nick to come along too. Charise cancelled at the last minute. When I told my bf that I was going to a movie alone with Nick he wasn't too happy and didn't want me to go. I was hoping that something would happen with Nick, so I broke up with the guy over the phone on the way to the movie. Much to my disappointment nothing happened with Nick that time. Oh well, guess I didn't like the ex-bf that much anyway. Obviously.

My 25th birthday was looming... My attitude was such that I figured since I wasn't married I might as well do something else with my life, so I started an MBA program.
One Saturday night, right before the semester started I had settled down to watch a new DVD I had just purchased. I didn't want to watch it alone and I remember my exact thought. "I am going to call Nick to see if he wants to come up to watch this movie with me. But if he says no, this is the last attempt I am going to make with him". I called his house, and was told that he was still at work, and wouldn't be home for 2 hours.

I watched 13 Going on 30 by myself. At the end of the movie, I realized Nick would be home from work, so I called his house again. He totally shocked me, by agreeing to come up and watch the movie! We watched 13 Going on 30 again, and I pretended like it was my first viewing.

To this day, I don't know what possessed Nick to say yes to my invitation, but I am so glad he did.

After that night we were with each other constantly. I still tease Nick that it took him 5 dates to kiss me! That was July 2004.

MBA school only lasted one semester, for me. ha ha. My priority shifted DRAMATICALLY. School no longer received all of my attention.

Four months later, in November 2004... Nick and I had decided that we were the "ones for each other".

Next up... our funny/romantic/endearing engagement story.

5 comments:

Emily said...

What a great idea! I'm looking forward the next "installment"!

Jonathan & Heather said...

I loved seeing the dance pictures with Jon in them. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

yes I have to agree, then when you told me that you married Nick, I was shocked..lol. You were always the serious one.....him, the prankster, but opposites attract right?? I love the pics...sooo glad you didnt have any with me in them..but then again, those were my skinny days.lol

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I enjoy hearing about how people met and fell in love. Are you really in your 30's? You look 28.
I can't wait to here your engagement story.

Jeanne Lewis said...

Loving all of the pics and stories!